The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
We as ctizens have the right to criticise the government and its policies otherwise our country will not be called a democracy.It is another matter altogether that well meant criticisms often get overlooked becaues of many other issues involved.
I agree that sedition laws need to be redefined since times have changed and the same law may have lost its relevance.Even when it was formed it had its own drawbacks so all the more reason now to relook and modify it.

Insulting national symbols and flag shows that a person has disregard or at best has given it the due importance it needs to be given, however it does not become a serious crime in my opinion.Just because another person shows reverence to the National flag but carries on with some illegal and criminal activities does not automatically make the person a patriot.
I too feel that Sedition should be applied when you indulge in activities which are anti national and are not in the best interest of the country , this may be any form. As long as citizens get affected by it and there are deaths and unrest and loss to the nation this should be used.

It is right in principle to say that sedition should be applied for anti national activities and also such as are not in best interests of state. But this is too vague. The party in power can arrest any one saying that his activities are anti national and against national interests.

So, I suggest the the definition of sedition should be more precise. The allegation of sedition should cover only the activities like collaboration with alien enemy and the organizations declared unlawful by Government on account of activities designed to collaborate with alien enemies and designed to overthrow the government by unconstitutional means especially through violence. As regards terrorism, insult to national symbols, there are other law for these.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

As there is changes occurs in every thing.The sedition rules must also need changes.But people who found to insult the national symbol or any national heritage should immediate be punished.

Sharmistha Banerjee
As there is changes occurs in every thing.The sedition rules must also need changes.But people who found to insult the national symbol or any national heritage should immediate be punished.

I agree that those insulting national symbols should be punished. for this, there is separate law. I also agree that the rules should change. But what should be the change? Please elaborate this.

I will say that the ultimate solution that will prevent such a state of National Confusion would be to redefine SEDITION. It should be imposed on the people who incite violence or force/excite people to act aggressively against the government. I believe being born in a democratic country we as citizens have the right to express our views against or in favor of the Government. But these views should be made peacefully that is most famously called the Gandhian way. A line of distinction between freedom of expression and sedition must be drawn with immediate effect. The law gets entangled frequently with the fundamental right of Freedom of Expression/Speech in our country.
We are very much aware of the origin of the law. It was drafted this way so that it could be used by the British against our freedom fighters. The Indian Constitution should not carry forward the the definitions given by the British.

Live in the present :)
I will say that the ultimate solution that will prevent such a state of National Confusion would be to redefine SEDITION. It should be imposed on the people who incite violence or force/excite people to act aggressively against the government. I believe being born in a democratic country we as citizens have the right to express our views against or in favor of the Government. But these views should be made peacefully that is most famously called the Gandhian way. A line of distinction between freedom of expression and sedition must be drawn with immediate effect. The law gets entangled frequently with the fundamental right of Freedom of Expression/Speech in our country.
We are very much aware of the origin of the law. It was drafted this way so that it could be used by the British against our freedom fighters. The Indian Constitution should not carry forward the the definitions given by the British.

We often say that British had made sedition law so as to suppress the freedom movement. But this can be substantiated only if we see what the sedition law in Britain is. If the law for British citizen is also same as in India, we cannot say that they made the law against freedom fighters. In Britain, any rebellion against British crown is sedition. So, they made similar law in India. But the crown no more rules in India. so this definition needs be changed.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.