The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Arun,
I agree with you that this may be one of the reason youth are attracted but haven you seen the site activities and if you go through the games part, senior citizens are also there, who also play the games equally. I think they are more than youth if you compare. What i noticed is house wifes, retired people and young children are more in Games section compared to youth. It doesnt mean youth do not use Facebook, they use for the same purporse you specified and for chatting.

yes, you are right youth doesnt not suits the criteria, specificed as 16 and above are considered youth.
Arun jain- I gave some narration of chaupals and coffee house chats only to give a background. The real life interaction is more intimate. Social chatting is a human tendency and internet has facilitated this beyond imagination. additionally, everyone can interact at own time unlike real life interaction when both should be available at the same time. Thus you may write some thing at midnight and I may response next morning.

I know and I am not at all against your views, I just felt they were a bit out of context as we were specifically discussing facebook and more appropriate background would have been why email, orkut and twitter failed.

Anyways, that was just my two cents.
Arun,
I agree with you that this may be one of the reason youth are attracted but haven you seen the site activities and if you go through the games part, senior citizens are also there, who also play the games equally. I think they are more than youth if you compare. What i noticed is house wifes, retired people and young children are more in Games section compared to youth. It doesnt mean youth do not use Facebook, they use for the same purporse you specified and for chatting.

yes, you are right youth doesnt not suits the criteria, specificed as 16 and above are considered youth.

Rajani you are absolutely right when you say that more than youths seniors and house wives use Facebook, a recent surveyed showed the same trend. More than 80% people who are above the age 50 use facebook and more than 53% housewives use facebook.

I was just focusing on the reasons on why facebook is popular among the youths.
A great topic for GD.
My views are as follows.
THe youth of these days are seeking variety.When facebook came into existance they felt it a unique idea.So more youth got attracted.Now it is introducing more and more things that maintain the popularity.It is also getting successful.But am not at all interested in FB.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
The second par of GD would there be any age limit for FB members.There is lower age limit in all sites.To become a member one should have to complete 18 years in most sites.But we humans have a lot of ways to overcome any rules and regulations.We make our DOB to a convenient day to suit this.

I think there should be a strict lower age limit which has to be proved before enrolling into a site.Regarding upper age limit there should not be any barrier as some get introduced to this cyber world very late.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
[quote]Kalyani, correct me if I am wrong...The second part of the GD says, should there be an age limit for joining facebook which as I said in my earlier posts already exists.

DO we even have to argue on the point that it should be increased?

I mean it won't go well with the first part which specifically says youth and by youth one automatically knows that we talking of 16 years and above. So the second part wont make much of a sense. Next time we can have a topic like "Are Students Getting Addicted to Facebook and should the minimum age to use facebook be increased"

Anyways, I am ready to discuss the second part if it means discussing whether the age limit should increase or not, just thought would clear with you before post my views. [/quote]

Arun, its true that there is an age limit of 13 years for joining facebook, but is it legally binding and is it enforced by parents?? When we speak of youth in general we talk about people mainly falling in 18 to 30-35 years category! So we can change it to what you suggested - Should the minimum age to use Facebook be increased?

As youth implicate students too, the part "Are Students Getting Addicted to Facebook" can be discussed in the ongoing topic itself!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

yes, as I agree with Rajani, Facebook is used as a directory to find someone or find a review about something.

But the games played on facebook are from external sites like zynga which makes money by people playing on them.

Swetha Shenoy
Thank Arun and Swetha for going with my views. :)

As now kalyani has made the necessary adjustments to the question I will talk about the age criteria only.

Most of the sites state 18 years as minimum age but since facebook is US site the rules are according to their culture. They stated 13 years as minmum age as most of the children become independent by that time in US, which is not the case of India and other Asian countries. Though we find the age should be increased according to our culture it is not possible in real time. There is no advantage in increasing the Age, as no one knows that really a 13 year child is creating the account or not. However,parents should only control in this type of cases if they feel the FB can ruin the child future.

Regarding the second point "Are Students Getting Addicted to Facebook" my answer would be : Absolutely YES.
Reason is due to the atmosphere the FB creates which is attractive in teenage. And not only FB almost most of the social networking sites are like that only. And as ARUN said previously whatever they can not do in real life can be done here. It is exactly one of the main reason. Addiction is also towards the Games as they are user-friendly. :)
Internet connects the whole world within fraction of a second. It is the easiest way to interact with the people all over the world. There are different types of sites meant for different purposes. The best way to interact with people is through the social networking sites. Facebook has gained the most popularity.
Facebook has lots and lots of page 3 news. It tells a lot about fashion and film industry. Ups and downs in life of many celebrity stars and models. Their new releasing movies or music videos makes people crazy. We can follow our favourite celebrites and stars.

We get all types of news, day to day events and happenings around the world.

We can chat with our friends or send message at very fast speed. Video calling and video chatting are good. I would say group chatting is "adda" on internet sitting back at home, avoiding traffic gams and pollution or wasting time in cafeteria.

We also get educational and non educational topics or articles in this site.

Internet is also a good source of income for the people who works at home. Facebook helps them to advertise their business or work on facebook. You can also join many sites from facebook ads.
Facebook has everything and it is for all types of users be it business, education, job, politics, sports, drama, modeling, film, technology, etc. You get all types of searches on facebook. Many social, political, business and marketing sites are connected with facebook.

As each and every thing as both possitive as well as negative aspect, the minimum age eligible to use facebook should be 18 years and maximum should be no bar.
I think it is not an addiction, infact it is an obsession! Students log on to facebook within seconds after they log-out just to check how many people have 'like' their 'status' or posted a 'comment' on their 'status'.

Swetha Shenoy
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.