According to a survey conducted by an NGO , our high courts are one of the slowest in disposing off the pending cases with Allahabad HC being the most lax, taking more than 3 years to dispose off a case and Sikkim the fastest , probably because they have fewer cases being filed.

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/HCs-taking-3-years-on-average-to-decide-cases-Study/articleshow/51503719.cms?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=TOI

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

The cases delay often owing to delaying tactics of advocates. When their case is weak, they would seek more adjournments on one or the other pretexts.  Secondly, the number of cases is excessive. The judicial process also suffers from red tape and lethargy. It is necessary to make the procedure simpler, adjournments as few as possible. One way is to hear fewer cases per day so that the cases taken up are finalized early. Actually, a very large number of of cases are taken each day so that any case is not finalized soon. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Though the Law Minister Sadananda Gowda, written to all Chief Justices of HCs for compiling an Annual report about the performances of their respective courts, pendency of cases,disposal rates etc, and keep them on their Web sites, for the public scrutiny, most of the HCs barring  the HCs of Delhi, Himachal, J and K, Jharkhand, Kerala, Madras and Tripura did not respond,  This is pathetic condition prevailing in the Judicial system. I sincerely feel that Judiciary system has to be revamped in order to reduce delays in the Judiciary.

I am told that there is a time limit for cases in high courts , which is 18 months. But this rule is hardly followed by the large majority of the people involved. It is not just the judges or advocates but people involved  themselves who often delay the cases. This added with the court holidays and study tour of the lawyers and judges makes the matter worse !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

What we have today is not only inordinate delay but quality of justice is suspect! I don't know who is going to extricate the system from the appalling mess in which it finds itself. Corruption of a cancerous kind is threatening its very existence. Money too is playing an ominously important part throwing off the vulnerable section in need of justice from its precincts.It looks like irredeemably lost. Who wIll judge the judges!!

True...some type of cases such as the ones to related to land disputes go on and on and on for years, ultimately destroying all parties involved. Judicial system all over is so slow and painful that after a point, people ultimately lose all faith in justice. Another point I do not understand is that if they are so tied up with cases and so on, why do courts close in the summer for a long duration like a school vacation.? If justice system is meant to serve people and mete out justice, why it is made inaccessible for major part of the year?

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

The justice system in India is a sham as far as timely resolution of cases is concerned. There are many cases which have been heard a couple of times and then they do not come up for hearing again for years allegedly because one party has succeeded  in stalling it. Poor people and middle class people avoid going to courts and if they have to are stuck in it for years. Closing for summer is a colonial legacy when British judges would find Indian summers too hot and would retire to cooler places or England. Time to give it a bye.

Courts are closed twice a year during summer and again during October/November and there are innumerable study tors for the judges which further delays the proceedings and of course transfers . For a Judge to leave and another to come and take his or her place takes almost a month and in the mean time all the cases are kept pending..

The Indian judiciary has its own axe to grind in perpetuating their hegemony and making a distinction between rich and poor. Look at the judgements and one will see that the honourable judges are not above board in framing questionable judgements. Two example stand out where clear cut cases were dismissed like the corruption case against Jayalalitha and the killing by Salman Khan. Who knows even Peter Mukherjee and Indrani may in the end be let off , like the supreme court going out of its way to try and set aside the death sentence of Nirbhaya killers. Alas where is India heading? a spell of martial law may be a requirement.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

True...some type of cases such as the ones to related to land disputes go on and on and on for years, ultimately destroying all parties involved. Judicial system all over is so slow and painful that after a point, people ultimately lose all faith in justice. Another point I do not understand is that if they are so tied up with cases and so on, why do courts close in the summer for a long duration like a school vacation.? If justice system is meant to serve people and mete out justice, why it is made inaccessible for major part of the year?

On a number of my visits to USA, I have seen the courts NEVER close there. Special courts even sit on Sundays

There are special vacation courts here too that function on week days but with limited capacity and more often than not, you find that either the judge is late or not there or one of the office bearers who manages the files is absent ..

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.