India is such a vast multi cultured country that nobody knows all customs- particularly wedding related. Here are some:

http://in.lifestyle.yahoo.com/unique-interesting-wedding-rituals-india-031609455.html

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Indian culture can be best described as a 'Kaleidoscope of different colours '. Each colour is vivid and vibrant. But in totality it presents a heart stealing picture.
I liked the Bihari weddings. where in the bride has to stand the test of balancing the Diyas placed one over the other on her head. And with these Diyas she has to do pranam to her in laws. Wonderful.
In many ways the Tamilian weddings are similar to Telugu weddings as far as rituals are concerned.
Indian culture can be best described as a 'Kaleidoscope of different colours '. Each colour is vivid and vibrant. But in totality it presents a heart stealing picture.
I liked the Bihari weddings. where in the bride has to stand the test of balancing the Diyas placed one over the other on her head. And with these Diyas she has to do pranam to her in laws. Wonderful.
In many ways the Tamilian weddings are similar to Telugu weddings as far as rituals are concerned.[/quoteWedding is an age old tradition and here in my state, there are three types of weddings, one is of austic wedding by tribals, the other is of normal Hindu wedding by natives and the third is of wedding of special kind of Brahmin inner Sevayats (Servitor) of Lord Jagannath, Balalbhadra and Subhada, the trinity,

http://mohanmekap.com/

In many ways the Tamilian weddings are similar to Telugu weddings as far as rituals are concerned.
Wedding is an age old tradition and here in my state, there are three types of weddings, one is of austic wedding by tribals, the other is of normal Hindu wedding by natives and the third is of wedding of special kind of Brahmin inner Sevayats (Servitor) of Lord Jagannath, Balalbhadra and Subhada, the trinity,

Yes. i've attended many Odiya marriages when I was working in Rourkela steel plant. They are colourful.
Wedding is an age old tradition and here in my state, there are three types of weddings, one is of austic wedding by tribals, the other is of normal Hindu wedding by natives and the third is of wedding of special kind of Brahmin inner Sevayats (Servitor) of Lord Jagannath, Balalbhadra and Subhada, the trinity,

Yes. i've attended many Odiya marriages when I was working in Rourkela steel plant. They are colourful.
Have you attended marriage ceremony of inner Brahmin sevayat of Lord Jagannath of Puri, it is entirely different from the rest of people, It is mandatory for them to marry from the same priestly class, and they cannot marry Odia Brahmins, instead they have to marry from the same priestly class, and there marriage ceremony starts for four days, on the first day marriage in the day time, then, the male and female stay in their respective homes, on the second day, of marriage, the male would be staying at the female's home, and on the third day, both male and female would be travelling with procession in the entire city and reaching to Lords and then female comes to his father's house, on the fourth day of marriage, in the early morning, senior ladies of male's home would be reaching to female's home and they would be bringing her to her in laws house for the first time four days after marriage.

First day of marriage is knowna as Dwitiya Baranna, the second day of marriage is known as anghyat basa, the third day of marriage is known as Guali, the fourth day marriage is known as Chaturthi, this is similar to marriage of Lord Jagannath known as Bishnu and Ma laxmi, as their marriage consisted of four day, the marriage of priestly class of Lord Jagannth is lesser known to people even to Odia people, as these priestly class never marry outside of their society. They do not marry to Odia Brahmins also. There are seven priestly class out of it three are inner priests of Lord Jagannath, namely the Puja pandas, the Kotharis (bhandar mekap) and the singharis. They marry within these three clans, it is believed that the Pujapnadas came from Karanatak Brahmins, the Bhandar mekaps came from Kashmir pandits and the singharis came from rajastan, there descedants still there.

Thank you said by: rambabu

Have you attended marriage ceremony of inner Brahmin sevayat of Lord Jagannath of Puri, it is entirely different from the rest of people, It is mandatory for them to marry from the same priestly class, and they cannot marry Odia Brahmins, instead they have to marry from the same priestly class, and there marriage ceremony starts for four days, on the first day marriage in the day time, then, the male and female stay in their respective homes, on the second day, of marriage, the male would be staying at the female's home, and on the third day, both male and female would be travelling with procession in the entire city and reaching to Lords and then female comes to his father's house, on the fourth day of marriage, in the early morning, senior ladies of male's home would be reaching to female's home and they would be bringing her to her in laws house for the first time four days after marriage.

First day of marriage is knowna as Dwitiya Baranna, the second day of marriage is known as anghyat basa, the third day of marriage is known as Guali, the fourth day marriage is known as Chaturthi, this is similar to marriage of Lord Jagannath known as Bishnu and Ma laxmi, as their marriage consisted of four day, the marriage of priestly class of Lord Jagannth is lesser known to people even to Odia people, as these priestly class never marry outside of their society. They do not marry to Odia Brahmins also. There are seven priestly class out of it three are inner priests of Lord Jagannath, namely the Puja pandas, the Kotharis (bhandar mekap) and the singharis. They marry within these three clans, it is believed that the Pujapnadas came from Karanatak Brahmins, the Bhandar mekaps came from Kashmir pandits and the singharis came from rajastan, there descedants still there.

That's a vivid description of inner Brahmin sevayat of Lord Jagannath of Puri. Unfortunately I could not get an opportunity to witness this colourful marriage function.
Thank you said by: mohan manohar

Indian culture have more than rainbow. In Rajasthan wedding rituals changed after some KM. I am bagri aggarwal but wedding ritual in other agarwals like Punjabi,Khdelwal are differ from us.
Traditions cultures and ways of celebrations change almost every 25 km in our country, so we would never know how the people in different areas celebrate their rituals unless we live in a particular area for some time. But that is a fact that we have so many different ways that even in one family people can bargain how to carry out a particular ceremony during marriage time. People define them in their own ways.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

In Mangalore Each community has a different wedding ritual - Brahmins have their own and Saraswats have their own and the Bunts and other non brahmins have their own customs and traditions...What is common to the Bunts is the blowing of a trumpet ,when the groom and his party arrives at the wedding venue, which is normally family owned and a heirloom of sorts...The entire marriage rituals can go on upto a week sometimes before the girl is sent to her husbands home after the final ceremony which is called 'maamisike' when the boy and his family is given a very lavish lunch at the girls place and she is then sent off to her husbands place.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: mohan manohar
In Mangalore Each community has a different wedding ritual - Brahmins have their own and Saraswats have their own and the Bunts and other non brahmins have their own customs and traditions...What is common to the Bunts is the blowing of a trumpet ,when the groom and his party arrives at the wedding venue, which is normally family owned and a heirloom of sorts...The entire marriage rituals can go on upto a week sometimes before the girl is sent to her husbands home after the final ceremony which is called 'maamisike' when the boy and his family is given a very lavish lunch at the girls place and she is then sent off to her husbands place.
In India marriages are unique and it is colorful, with the advent of modern age, we have seen some new additions to existing traditions, like making marriages inside big hotels instead of own homes, feasts and other forms of beverages also getting due attention, like, in the last ten years in most of Odia marriages, advent of South India tiffin, especially from nearby Andhra delicacies and also some Punjabi recipes are added to the menu.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.