Tobacco is not banned inspite of health hazards in view of citizen's rights to live as they like. Even then if tobacco is to be banned, why army canteens only. Why not all places. The proposal to ban sale of tobacco in army canteens only is obviously illogical, inequitable and arbitrary. I rememebr that cigarettes are issued free to army personnel in extremely cold places like Ladakh.

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/health/policy-and-issues/ban-tobacco-in-army-canteens-vardhan-tells-jaitley/article6191780.ece

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Tobacco is not banned inspite of health hazards in view of citizen's rights to live as they like. Even then if tobacco is to be banned, why army canteens only. Why not all places. The proposal to ban sale of tobacco in army canteens only is obviously illogical, inequitable and arbitrary. I rememebr that cigarettes are issued free to army personnel in extremely cold places like Ladakh.

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/health/policy-and-issues/ban-tobacco-in-army-canteens-vardhan-tells-jaitley/article6191780.ece

Though the Army stores are supplying cigarettes to army, Majority of the army supply intended for Army use is being resold to the public by the army personnel. This is a practice known to all and i have seen in the army canteens of Eastern Naval Command , Vizag.

Though the Army stores are supplying cigarettes to army, Majority of the army supply intended for Army use is being resold to the public by the army personnel. This is a practice known to all and i have seen in the army canteens of Eastern Naval Command , Vizag.

Not only cigarettes, all canteen items including VIP brief cases, liquer etc are unlawfully sold by army persons. But this is not our theme. If there is ban, why in army only. From time to time, army authorities check this practice and the persoel involved are also punished. In some canteens, record of purchase by soldiers is also checked to find out any unusual sale. If a soldier is every month buying brief case, obviously, he is selling outside.

Not only cigarettes, all canteen items including VIP brief cases, liquer etc are unlawfully sold by army persons. But this is not our theme. If there is ban, why in army only. From time to time, army authorities check this practice and the persoel involved are also punished. In some canteens, record of purchase by soldiers is also checked to find out any unusual sale. If a soldier is every month buying brief case, obviously, he is selling outside.

Agreed. All are humans and all are affected by the evils of smoking. The ban on tobacco based products should be for the entire nation.
I believe tobacco and products containing tobacco will never be banned cause it is one of the largest source of revenue generation in our country. Moreover, it will give rise to black marketing if at all it banned some day...banning doesn't guarantee the eradication of use of a products like tobacco and liquor.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

I believe tobacco and products containing tobacco will never be banned cause it is one of the largest source of revenue generation in our country. Moreover, it will give rise to black marketing if at all it banned some day...banning doesn't guarantee the eradication of use of a products like tobacco and liquor.

I agree. Ban is counter productive and also undemocratic. There is enough publicity highlighting harm of tobacco. If people strill consume tobacco, they have right to do what pleases them.

Thank you said by: Mousumi Ghosh

I agree. Ban is counter productive and also undemocratic. There is enough publicity highlighting harm of tobacco. If people strill consume tobacco, they have right to do what pleases them.

Health and welfare of the people are the responsibilities of the Government. Drugs are banned. Why not Tobacco ?

Health and welfare of the people are the responsibilities of the Government. Drugs are banned. Why not Tobacco ?

cigarettes and wine are not banned anywhere. The drugs are probably meant for medical purposes and so use for any other purpose is prohibited.

cigarettes and wine are not banned anywhere. The drugs are probably meant for medical purposes aaaaaaand so use for any other purpose is prohibited.

Drugs are addictive and cause life threatening ailments. There are drugs exclusively meant for medicinal purposes. But not all.
Exactly..drugs are banned..if by drugs you meant substance abuse...they are still used but not openly.

So if tobacco is banned it will have the same impact.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

There is always a demand by many for banning cigarettes because of its harmful health effects, but never for banning growing of tobacco by farmers.T he revenue collection from tobacco and wine are very high and help keep taxes on other products lower. In Gujarat which has prohibition, liqour is widely available at higher prices and the local taxes are higher because the state is foregoing revenue because of prohibition. So the consumers of liqour have to pay more and all citizens also have to pay higher taxes. So banning is not the answer but yes more awareness of ill effects should be highlighted always.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.