There is a sad event. Krnataka rationalist Kalburgi has been killed by religious fundamentalists. Somebody enquired about him and on seeing him immediately shot him dead and left by bike. This is second such incident- first in Maharashtra a few months back. It is worth pondering whether religious freedom, freedom of expression and other democratic rights are reserved only for Talibani mentality fundamentalists- be tney of Hindu or Muslim variety.  In Bangladesh and Pakistan, rationalists are targets. This is understandable. But it is surprising and unexpected in India.  

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/karnataka-rationalist-and-scholar-mm-kalburgi-shot-dead/article1-1385694.aspx

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

It is expected.  Not only  Prof. Kalburgi, many rationalists and whistle blowers who exposed the atrocities of religious fundamentalists met with the same fate.

According to local newspapers the killing may have been due to property related matters but since he was a rationalist people tend to jump to conclusions and point fingers at this one and that ...However, he was the kind who regularly made very inflamatory statements along with another writer Anantha Moorthy who  once peed on Hindu gods statues and claimed nothing happened to him...I guess such actions are not in good taste and dignified especially given his stature as a great writer who had won the Jnanapith award ...It is because Hindus are a tolerant lot  that he could get away with such things ! If it was some other religion, I can imagine what would have happened, the then government would have made a great hue and cry more than anyone else !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

According to local newspapers the killing may have been due to property related matters but since he was a rationalist people tend to jump to conclusions and point fingers at this one and that ...However, he was the kind who regularly made very inflamatory statements along with another writer Anantha Moorthy who  once peed on Hindu gods statues and claimed nothing happened to him...I guess such actions are not in good taste and dignified especially given his stature as a great writer who had won the Jnanapith award ...It is because Hindus are a tolerant lot  that he could get away with such things ! If it was some other religion, I can imagine what would have happened, the then government would have made a great hue and cry more than anyone else !

I don't have full information. I just read in Google news and Facebook comments. Personally, I am a rationalist and atheist. However I don't approve insulting any religious groupor beliefs. It is okay to give your views fearlessly but without causing any insult. Peeing or spitting on statues is bad and not appreciated even if you don't believe in statue worship.  

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

ANY how, I do not subscribe to the fact that Rationalists indulging in delivering inflammatory speeches and rousing the public against anybody. I know Rationalists in AP like GORA never indulged in such inflammatory speeches or provoked the people. They simply express their opinions about the existence or non existence  of God.

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

I don't have full information. I just read in Google news and Facebook comments. Personally, I am a rationalist and atheist. However I don't approve insulting any religious groupor beliefs. It is okay to give your views fearlessly but without causing any insult. Peeing or spitting on statues is bad and not appreciated even if you don't believe in statue worship.  

Some Aethists and so called Rationalists tend to think that they are a cut above the rest and are great intellects which theycertainly are not - the only difference between them and those who believe is just that ! One believes and the other doesn't believe ! I have seen them speaking in derogatory terms about religion mostly about Hinduism simply because Hindus put up with their nonsense !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

As I said earlier all Rationalists do not  indulge in inflammatory or derogatory speeches. They are supposed to put forward their opinions only. That's all nothing more.

I fail to understand why it is repeatedly stated that Hindus are  tolerant and they put up with nonsense. This sentiment betrays a lack of understanding of Hinduism. It is a way of life as the great philosopher Dr Radhakrishnan said. Hinduism is not strictly a religion as Islam or Christainity are because it was not founded by anyone and has evolved over many centuries and keeps evolving. It is not a dogmatic religion and is not stationery in nature. It absorbs various schools of thought from its practitioners and non practitioners alike. Dialog and debate are its essence. However many persons feel that it is in competition with Islam and Christainity, which it is not. Freedom of expression even if it is against itself is not unknown in Hinduism. Therefore this patronising attitude that if they criticise other religions is not justified. Yes I agree that one has to respect the sentiments of followers and not express one's views in a derogatory manner like insulting symbols of Hinduism as it hurts the feeling of the tolerant faithful.

Is it a sacrilege to have patriotic attitude ? If it is a Sacrilege pray clarify what should be the right attitude?

rambabu wrote:

As I said earlier all Rationalists do not  indulge in inflammatory or derogatory speeches. They are supposed to put forward their opinions only. That's all nothing more.

You can speak for yourself and may be a few people you know of but you cannot speak for everybody.....What is true in your town may not be true in other places so there is no point in taking the high ground !

I agree. I  being a rationalist I attended many of the AP Rationalist meets.  Never did they utter any derogatory statements. Additionally did you ever see me  making derogatory statements ?

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.