There are some adverse comments in a report of an American based organization on state of religious freedom in India. Naturally, the report is unwelcome to many who retort that they neither recognize the organization nor teat the report as genuine because this is based on wrong understanding of Indian political system. constitution or law. 

Of course, the American based organization has no statutory status as far as we are concerned. However, the report appears true. Our constitution is no doubt secular and progressive but certain extreme right wing organizations are undermining the constitution and acting against the spirit of secularism.

https://in.news.yahoo.com/religious-freedom-us-report-fails-053100119.html

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

All I can say is that Indians enjoy extra ordinary religious freedom. We can do anything in the name of religion. We can worship on roads, carry out processions on roads under police protection while all the traffic is blocked. We can call names to any religion particularly majority or even stage religious ceremony in the middle of roads without any restriction and I have not yet mentioned the religious buildings construction going on unabated in the center, right, and left or at the roadsides on government lands free for all religions.  What else one wants in the name of freedom of religion. 

Do you think there is another country in the world more liberal in the name of religion than we are? 

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

In USA there have been several incidents where a person and family have been caught and detained simply for wearing Hijab and looking like Arabs...Think of such a thing happening here ! The USCIRF is an independent advisory body , so one need not make much of them since they also like to play along Pakistan , which was seen last year too when they made some such observation or a few years earlier too. This is not the first time that they have made such a negative observation in 2005 , 2008 and 2012..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

USCIRF's report on  Religious intolerance is uncalled for and didn't make any dent on Indian Government. I do not understand why such reports from a foreign body intervene and interfere in India's affairs.  The External Affairs ministry did a right thing by dismissing the report saying USCIRF doesn't have any Authority to point out the The Indian Constitution, that guarantees fundamental rights to all the Citizens including the right to Freedom of Religion.

@Suni I think Indonesia comes near to India in matters of religious freedom or chaos that is enjoyed by its citizens. For a populous nation of large diversity is it a strong or weak point. I think it is a strong point.

Indonesia is 98% Muslim and it's secular only if you don't criticize Islam.It has elements of bigotry and beauty contests were banned as "un-Islamic". I went to Jakarta and was there when evening Namaz took place. It frightened me. My rickshaw puller advised me to go back to the hotel as there have been cases of violent upsurge against non-Muslims. A few years back they killed thousands of Chinese Christians.

There is no doubt that the report by an American organization has no legal status as far as we are concerned. But even then we need to consider the report as this leaves some impression on people and affects our image.  There is no doubt that there have been incidents of killing of some rationalists/ atheists. The minorities have also been targeted by Hindutva lobby that is ruling.  False cases of beef eating and so called Love Jehad have been made for harassing and killing. Here it is irrelevant to talk of the constitution. It is not the constitutional guarantee but the actual conduct of the saffron lobby that matters.   

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Indonesia and Malaysia both are predominantly Muslim nations and Hindus who have been living there for centuries are battling even property owning rights there ... In fact when we were living in KL , many Tamils were very critical of the policies which gave more rights to Bhumiputras, the Malays , then to the Chinese and lastly to the Indians living there since several generations.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

So now are we better or we should follow Indonesia and Malaysia models.I would vote for our model.

vijay wrote:

So now are we better or we should follow Indonesia and Malaysia models.I would vote for our model.

Neither, we need to follow the model as laid down during the Golden Age of Hindu rule when the Guptasand Maurayas ruled. Every community was safe under aegis of Dharma. In the modern context the example of Kemel Ataturk can be followed, but it requires guts.

Today also every community is safe under aegis of its Dharma. It is the cocktail of Dharmas and the neutrality from Dharmas that are being opposed.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.