According to an estimate, every year around 14000 tonnes of sunscreen lotion gets washed into the oceans when the people who use these lotions, enter into sea for swimming or fun. The sunscreen contains various harmful chemicals which can damage the Corals reef in the ocean. Palau has become the first country to ban the sunscreen lotion in a bid to preserve the conral reef. If any tourists found using or possessing the banned sunscreen lotions, they will be penalised. An excellent move by the country.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Palau is a small Pacific island with tourism and the coral reefs being it's main attraction , so it is more to do with need . Coral is very sensitive to chemicals , so they are making sure that anything that would affect them adversely , which in turn would hit the tourism is banned .. If I am not mistaken , there is such a ban in Hawaii as well

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: arjun sai, suni51
usha manohar wrote:

Palau is a small Pacific island with tourism and the coral reefs being it's main attraction , so it is more to do with need . Coral is very sensitive to chemicals , so they are making sure that anything that would affect them adversely , which in turn would hit the tourism is banned .. If I am not mistaken , there is such a ban in Hawaii as well

Yes your information is correct. Sunscreen is also banned in Hawaii but Hawaii is not country and comes under US but Palau is a country which has number of islands.

Thank you said by: suni51

It is demand of time to save nature. Other countries must be follow Palau and banned sunscreen lotion.

Thank you said by: arjun sai

It is the need of the hour to save nature and so I think it is a welcome decision to save the corals and marine life.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

A very significant and necessary move. Many countries are awakened and are taking strict measures to conserve environment and nature to the best of  their ability, hope such measures are implemented in India everywhere and not just a few places.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

A very significant and necessary move. Many countries are awakened and are taking strict measures to conserve environment and nature to the best of  their ability, hope such measures are implemented in India everywhere and not just a few places.

Most of people are in favor of banned on chemicals which are harmful of environment, but in India it is not easy job.

I think in a Country like India it is very hard to implement such strict measures, also is it not beneficial to check people by scanning whether they have applied sunscreen lotion or not?

Because I think Sunscreen lotion is required in places where there is excess UV rays which causes sunburn. Though I have not yet experienced any such thing as sunburn but may be it will be required in future because of depleting Ozone layer.

Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!

epraneeth77 wrote:

I think in a Country like India it is very hard to implement such strict measures, also is it not beneficial to check people by scanning whether they have applied sunscreen lotion or not?

Because I think Sunscreen lotion is required in places where there is excess UV rays which causes sunburn. Though I have not yet experienced any such thing as sunburn but may be it will be required in future because of depleting Ozone layer.

It is not us Indians who really need to use sunscreen as we are darker in skin colour, we have plenty of melanin in our skin to protect us from the UV rays of sun. It is the Europeans, or the white people who have no melanin in their body. They need to use sunscreen more than us. However, instead of using chemical based, they need to research into herbal or natural ingredients to be used as sunscreens.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: epraneeth77, suni51

I am not sure if there are any herbal and organic sunscreen available. That would be a good option as people have to use sunscreen to save themselves from the harm of UV rays. But it has been always controversial whether sunscreen is actually effective of doing that. Moreover, there has been articles about sunscreen causing harm to our skin too.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Thank you said by: epraneeth77

I think with the amount of different trees and different medicines in Homeopathy that are available, a lotion for sunscreen should be available. May be they are less marketed due to cost constraints and less funding.

Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.