This is an oft asked question in interviews by the Hiring Managers.
What the employer wants to know by knowing your Hobbies?
"The employer is trying to determine whether you'd be a good fit, and getting insight into your interests, hobbies, and personality all help in evaluating that," says Amy Hoover, president of the job board TalentZoo. 
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hiring-managers-really-want-know-191754949.html
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I think it is a great way of evaluating the overall personality of an individual....These days a well balanced personality is preferred to someone holding just a merit certificate with top numbers !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I think it is a great way of evaluating the overall personality of an individual....These days a well balanced personality is preferred to someone holding just a merit certificate with top numbers ![/quote

The prospective candidate's leadership qualities, communication abilities and many such inner qualities will surface up, from the Hobbies you have. Hiring mangers evaluate the person's utility value to the organization from these traits.
Hobbies plays an important role in the development of a person. Everyone should have some hobbies in order to be engaged in something throughout their life. Mind also feels good when we are doing some other work apart our routine work daily. My hobbies are painting, reading books, writing.
Your hobbies are not just hobbies. They reveal your personality also. They reveal your behavioral patterns. This is what the hiring managers want to know from the prospective candidates for a job by knowing their Hobbies.
By the way, my hobby is also painting. But I've become a professional.
Yes, of late recruiters/companies are looking for multi-talented people in their work place..only having a good knowledge or your area of expertise is not enough..the more knowledge you have on other subjects..the more feathers you add to you cap.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

The very purpose of asking "What's your hobby " by the hiring managers is to know about your inner traits that help towards the growth and objectives of the organization. Leadership qualities , communication skills, working in teams are some of the qualities revealed by the Hobbies of the prospective candidates .
Hobbies tells about the candidate risk tolerance and passion to the new technology. The question is asked to know how much you are interested in every task and how worth you are for the company.
Hobbies and personality traits are closely linked. Hiring managers get a chance to know about the prospective candidate's personality, link with the organizational objectives and evaluate the candidature's worth.
I like singing. Singing was my passion I wanted to make it a profession but my parents did not allow moreover we did not have reality shows like we have today which give a good platform for the the talents to come up. :)
Yes, employers want people and hire people who can be more than just an employee, a well-rounded personality is more suitable, more apt and appropriate and need of the hour.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.