Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I guess it also depends on consumer demand because Mangalore although a small city has well stacked fast food joints and all of them Mcdonalds, KFC, Pizza hut or subway has vegetables, salads and other fresh green vegetables and cheese which you can ask them to add on to your burger..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Yes definitely. No fast food outlet will make healthy fast food if there is no demand. Being in extreme South people prefer Idli or Dosa in Hotels or even in Road side  Push carts.

Adding green salads to burgers will not make them healthier because of the transfats and high sodium levels present. It may help in providing some increased roughage. I hope it is not a ploy to make fast foods more attractive and sustain their consumption.  knows about the ability of multi national companies in influencing customers. What are the calorific values for a normal sized dosha along with sambhar would also be  interesting to know.

vijay wrote:

Adding green salads to burgers will not make them healthier because of the transfats and high sodium levels present. It may help in providing some increased roughage. I hope it is not a ploy to make fast foods more attractive and sustain their consumption.  knows about the ability of multi national companies in influencing customers. What are the calorific values for a normal sized dosha along with sambhar would also be  interesting to know.

Here are the details of calorific values of Idli and Dosa.

http://www.fitjog.com/nutrition-charts/how-many-calories-in-indian-food.php

Adding green salads is definitely better than not doing so although it may be a very clever marketing ploy as you say..

2 Dosas with sambhar and chutney comes to 400 calories ... 

• 1 katori sambar – 121 calories
  • 1 tbsp coconut chutney – 44 calories
  • 1 vegetable uttapam – 250 calories
  • 1 katori upma – 247 calories
  • 1 katori rasam – 118 calories
  • 1 plain idli – 51 calories
  • 1 medu vada – 103 calories
  • 1 masala dosa – 415 calories
  • 1 plain dosa – 120 calories
  • 1 neer dosa – 105 calories
  • 1 katori chettinad chicken – 497 calories
  • 1 katori avial – 136 calories
  • 1 katori puliyogare – 261 calories
  • 1 katori rice payasam – 277 calories

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

Adding green salads is definitely better than not doing so although it may be a very clever marketing ploy as you say..

I prefer Idli because it's a steamed food. No oil. Dosa is delicious but my preference is Idli and it's Andhra Counter part known as " Kudumu" The chutney is made of Peanuts.

Thank you said by: usha manohar
usha manohar wrote:

@Usha thank you very much for useful above calorific data. Idli scores over all but being a fermented food is not advised to be taken by persons suffering from gout/arthritis. Calories in Masala dosa and Sambhar chutney are perhaps more than a Chicken berger. But still dosa is preferableany day.

Thank you said by: usha manohar

Idli and sambar are the favorite foods in the South especially in Tamilnadu and AP. I for one prefer Idli as it is cooked on steam. And I do not have either or gout or arthritis. Above all Idli preparation is far easy. And in AP there are counterparts of Idli namely KUDUMU and we prefer the powdered Dhaniya sprinkled over both on idli or Kudumu.

In Karnataka Idli is made in many forms and all Udipi restaurants are very famous for their Rava Idlis, Vegetable Idlis besides the normal ones all over India ...We even steam it in a packet made of Jackfruit leaves which is very popular in Mangalore...

Rava Idli is prepared in AP also. But steaming it in a packet of  jackfruit leaves are new to me. Idli and their preparation vary from state to state. 100percent Andhra preparation is Kudumu. We prepare peanut chutall that goes well with Kudumu.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.