Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Idlis steamed in Jack fruit leaves are called Kottige and it is very healthy because we dont need to use oil and it gets the flavor if the jack leaves ...We make these packets at home but it has to be done carefully so that there is no leakage..

Kottige 8 1

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

A good picture. Of course idlis irrespective of the region are steamed, which is why they are healthy. And they are quite filling.

Mpomos and wantons have become very popular now as a fast/street food and it is healthy since it is steamed and has vegetables and meat filling ...Tastes good too ! So one cannot actually say it is unhealthy even though it is fast food..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Steamed foods, are always considered as healthy foods as there is no oil content in them. The thing to be looked into is since Wantons have meat fillings. ( Vegetable fillings are OK), will there be any indigestion problem?

usha manohar wrote:

Idlis steamed in Jack fruit leaves are called Kottige and it is very healthy because we dont need to use oil and it gets the flavor if the jack leaves ...We make these packets at home but it has to be done carefully so that there is no leakage..

Kottige 8 1

They look really yummy and delicious. I bet they taste amazing when served hot with ghee. How do you prepare the packets using leaves, do you sew them together?

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Kottige 8 1

They look really yummy and delicious. I bet they taste amazing when served hot with ghee. How do you prepare the packets using leaves, do you sew them together?

Yes Kalyani, it really tastes delicious and the Kottiges  (as they are called ) come out soft and fluffy...Making the packets is an art in itself and requires practice,  because there should be no gaps or holes anywhere . I make it at home since we have jackfruit tree .It is done with 4 jack leaves , which are clipped together using sticks made  by trimming the coconut leaves.They make brooms out of this sticks for sweeping the courtyards and open spaces.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Sounds good. Yes all Fast foods are not unhealthy. You stated in the very first thread of this topic . Only thing was, the enlisted foods are not available in all fast food joints.

At times people simply call everything that is not familiar to them as junk food - I had this experience once when I had some unexpected guests drop in at  9 pm and instead of ordering food from outside I decided to make a Kichdi adding whatever vegetable I had and served it with salad , pickles and yogurt, and although the guests were happy because by then they were really hungry ,one of my cousins who too was with them commented 'Oh you are serving us junk food , instead we could have ordered from outside ! I asked him whether rice and Saambhar is junk according to him, and he said no...So, what was the difference between that and Kichidi which is a slightly different version of the same since it has rice, dhal, vegetables..

Calling and branding every junk food as unhealthy is not proper. If I'm not familiar with a type of junk food i keep silent. Calling Khichidi as junk food is really something. Khichidi is known for its Healthy qualities. It is a combination of many Pulses.

rambabu wrote:

Calling and branding every junk food as unhealthy is not proper. If I'm not familiar with a type of junk food i keep silent. Calling Khichidi as junk food is really something. Khichidi is known for its Healthy qualities. It is a combination of many Pulses.

Absolutely, it is ignorance more than anything else ...

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.