Who said Honesty is the Best policy ?

The equation that works today is Honesty plus Hard work is equal to Transfer or even death some times.

Here is the list of some honest and dedicated people who paid heavily for their honesty and hard work.

http://www.speakingtree.in/slideshow/these-indian-officials-had-to-pay-a-heavy-price-for-their-hard-work-and-honesty

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Honesty is very dangerous these days. Danger is from two sides. first dishonest boss and colleaugues. You work in a team. An honest person is weakest link that needs be broken. Secondly, this is the customer/ client who wishes his illegal work done for payment of suitable amount. Here I am tempted to narrate an example of how my father an officer in Defence ministry tackled. There was a very honest supervisor. He would not like to get any thing from contractors and would work only regularly. His subordinates were unhappy. Commission for releasing payments to contractors is age old tradition since British rule. My father told the supervisor that he may not receive anything but he could allow his subordinate to get the commission and distribute or if preferred he could give that in some charity as well. The supervisor was adamant. Ultimately he had to be transferred elsewhere. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

Honesty is very dangerous these days. Danger is from two sides. first dishonest boss and colleaugues. You work in a team. An honest person is weakest link that needs be broken. Secondly, this is the customer/ client who wishes his illegal work done for payment of suitable amount. Here I am tempted to narrate an example of how my father an officer in Defence ministry tackled. There was a very honest supervisor. He would not like to get any thing from contractors and would work only regularly. His subordinates were unhappy. Commission for releasing payments to contractors is age old tradition since British rule. My father told the supervisor that he may not receive anything but he could allow his subordinate to get the commission and distribute or if preferred he could give that in some charity as well. The supervisor was adamant. Ultimately he had to be transferred elsewhere. 

The present scenario prevailing in the country speaks for itself that Honesty never pays. We can see how some of the whistle blowers are being hunted and killed. In this case pertaining to your father, reestablishes the fact that Honesty never pays.

That's why they say " Truth is bitter." How many in the society can digest this fact ?

Thank you said by: Swetha Shenoy

These are the book words and seems very good in the book but in real life its very dangerous because if someone speaks the truth then he/she might be killed, the books teaches us to be honest but the world teaches us to be dishonest.

bhuyali saroj

" Honesty is the Best Policy " has no validity in the present scenario. The way in which Honest officers are fired or killed establishes Honesty is the best policy is impracticable and impossible.

rambabu wrote:

" Honesty is the Best Policy " has no validity in the present scenario. The way in which Honest officers are fired or killed establishes Honesty is the best policy is impracticable and impossible.

Like every thing else, there is limit to honesty also. Too much dishonesty also does not work. One has to be pragmatic enough. Dirung course of time, some standards of bribe or 'commission' are fixed. Giving or taking bribe according to such 'standards' is permissible. But if some body is too greedy and demands more, there is trouble. On the other hand,if some body is too honest and will not work according to accepted norms and rates of bribe, he will be an utter falure.   

rambabu wrote:

Like every thing else, there is limit to honesty also. Too much dishonesty also does not work. One has to be pragmatic enough. Dirung course of time, some standards of bribe or 'commission' are fixed. Giving or taking bribe according to such 'standards' is permissible. But if some body is too greedy and demands more, there is trouble. On the other hand,if some body is too honest and will not work according to accepted norms and rates of bribe, he will be an utter falure.

Proverb is right but time is wrong. A person must be honest for yourself. As possible we should be honest.   

This what we have inherited from our previous leaders and governments...corruption and dishonesty has become now a way of life , because our politicians have seen to it that they get away with all their wrong doings. It is now difficult to know which is right and which is wrong , since the difference is almost nil and it has become a way of life.., 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

rambabu wrote:

yes its totally right what you said because if something is not going right then people will never go to that path. so in that manner if honesty is hurting anybody at the cost of his/her life then nobody will practice this or dare to go there.

bhuyali saroj

anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Proverb is right but time is wrong. A person must be honest for yourself. As possible we should be honest.

I remember the movie Satyakam- on total honesty and truth. The  total honest man is a great sufferer. He remarks sarcastically-  Honesty is not best policy. Honesty is my nature, my dharama.

Honety is great but we donot deserve this. Total honesty is ideal situation but this is bad policy in a society consisting mainly of corrupt or dishonest.    

Unfortunate instances mentioned in the article and posts . Corruption does seem to be a way of life for many.But that can not mean honesty is obsolete or passe. It is one's personal choice and preference. For me, it is better to be side stepped or transferred because of my honesty than reach great heights through dishonesty . I can face the world if I've been wronged but I'll not be able to answer to myself if I have done wrong. Depends on priority. Moreover, I would still like to believe that honesty does pay in most cases if coupled with hard work and being street-smart/worldly wise. An honest person can be worldly wise as well.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.