While surfing the net I came across a blog which I think would make for a great discussion. Sharing the link:

http://www.dailyo.in/lifestyle/durga-puja-hinduism-lord-shiva-adivasi-mahishasur-bengali-ahalya-karl-marx/story/1/6904.html

shampasaid

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Possibly, the dark side is not known popularly.  People just celebrate thefestival and recollect onlythe stories heard in fanily or friend circle. we generally don't go deep in scriptures nor isthis necessary. The scriptures are too vast. If we read these from Puranas, we may spend our whole lives just reading these with noting else to do. any way these are just stories. Need not take these seriously. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya

The writer of the article himself is a Bengali Yes many Bengalis are not aware of this dark side of Durga [puja. he says that Durga's image is depicted Durga's complex as fair and beautiful. Whereas Mahishasur in dark complexion. This symbolizes subjugation and suppression of the dark skinned.by the Fair skinned. This in turn speaks of oppression of Dalits by  forward classes.

Scriptures are vast and if we go in detail and read between the lines there are chances for different ways of interpretations of the same legend depending on the reader’s analyzing power. And we are lucky that we have the freedom for interpretation based on our own way of thinking, provided it does not hurt others sentiments. 

What next are they going to interpret from such festivals? Seriously, Durga stands for the superior classes that must and will always dominate the lowly ones??? Utterly ridiculous and too pompous an article, what was the writer thinking when he wrote this nonsense??

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

Scriptures are vast and if we go in detail and read between the lines there are chances for different ways of interpretations of the same legend depending on the reader’s analyzing power. And we are lucky that we have the freedom for interpretation based on our own way of thinking, provided it does not hurt others sentiments. 

Exactly. The writer of the article has expressed his views. But it's a blunder on his part for hurting the sentiments of others. Bengalis, who revere Durga  are hurt. Even Non-Bengalis sentiments are hurt. Coloring with caste to the pujas is not right.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

What next are they going to interpret from such festivals? Seriously, Durga stands for the superior classes that must and will always dominate the lowly ones??? Utterly ridiculous and too pompous an article, what was the writer thinking when he wrote this nonsense??

I have come across many such articles written about gods and goddesses where the author gives his or her own interpretation , to suit whatever it is they are trying to achieve..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

rambabu wrote:
RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

Exactly. The writer of the article has expressed his views. But it's a blunder on his part for hurting the sentiments of others. Bengalis, who revere Durga  are hurt. Even Non-Bengalis sentiments are hurt. Coloring with caste to the pujas is not right.

That is why I believe that we should celebrate festivals in usual way without going deep in mythology. The public perception is all that matters. However the religious scholars may among themselves make any research and discuss among themselves only.  

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: rambabu
Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:
rambabu wrote:
RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

That is why I believe that we should celebrate festivals in usual way without going deep in mythology. The public perception is all that matters. However the religious scholars may among themselves make any research and discuss among themselves only.  

True Sir. It is the devotion that matters. An individual who participates in festivities and Pujas need not  know all about mythologies and their origins. I also agree that religious scholars' discussions should remain among themselves without making comments which hurt the people. If they comment hurting the beliefs and the sentiments, controversies are bound to arise.

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

I have come across many such articles written about gods and goddesses where the author gives his or her own interpretation , to suit whatever it is they are trying to achieve..

Yes Usha I agree with you, but it is my personal observation that almost all the leftists who claim themselves to be progressive are the ones who ridicule and show immense hatred towards our traditions, culture, and generally everything that are considered to be beautiful and aesthetically pleasing. By doing so, they think that they are being modern and progressive, an attitude which has proved to be damaging for the art in India and has now moved on to cultural aspects. Unfortunately, the damages that this attitude has caused is the main reason also for moral and otherwise general degradation of the population. Now, likening the worship of Durga to oppression of dalits is just taking it several notches down that road towards squalor. So that should reason enough for us to worry about.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

It is a fact that people can go to any extent to make others believe what their belief is! You see, Just like Goddess Durga, Goddess Kali is also equally worshipped. She is not fair skinned then what logic will be put forward regarding this, I am curious to know that.

shampasaid

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.