A recent survey ranked Tiruchirapalli, a fairly large town of Central Tamil Nadu, as third cleanest city of India.  Like many others in Tamil Nadu, and as one who has actually lived in that town -- which now has a population of around twelve hundred thousand people -- I was totally shocked.  Piles of garbage can be seen in most parts of the town.  Like elsewhere in Tamil Nadu, the totally irresponsible public of Tiruchirapalli, can be seen urinating in public, even near the Central Bus stand.  

Yes, some places are somewhat clean, but how does that the particular city, a "neat" city? 

What is the best criteria of a neat city.  What we need to do is to have huge movements involving several hundred thousand people, particularly college students in making and maintaining towns and cities neat and clean.  Let us really create and maintain neat cities.  

Actually, Coimbatore, a much larger and more beautiful city of Tamil Nadu, with a huge industrial base, is a far more neater city.  One wonders why this city was not ranked ahead of Tiruchirapalli.

How clean can a city be, really?  Why not have a more acceptable definition of "neatness" and get going.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Mysore is cleanest city of India and next is Chandigarh. How a city or town can clean, it is depends of citizen of that city and town. The first thing to clean city of town is quite any hope from government. 

We cannot always blame or even expect from government for keeping our cities clean. It is a duty of every citizen to keep their city clean as they keep their houses clean. If we consider our city is like our own house, I m sure every city will be nicer than other.. Even if government try to take action to maintain the city clean, if we citizens thru garbage outside our house, then what can any government do?
anil wrote:

Mysore is cleanest city of India and next is Chandigarh. How a city or town can clean, it is depends of citizen of that city and town. The first thing to clean city of town is quite any hope from government. 

I agree with you. According to statistics, Mysuru in Karnataka, Chandigarh and Tiruchirapalli in Tamilnadu are in the top three positions. With all said and done, setting aside the statistics for a while, let's ponder how a city can be made clean, neat and Green.

Any task or a welfare measure can be made made successful, only when the people and the Government Join hands. Nothing can be achieved without the combined efforts of the people and the Government.

Yes sir.  Please do share some good work being done voluntarily by people.  There is Exonora in Chennai, which has done commendable work.  However, we need hundreds of such organizations. Please do share examples of such organizations, so that the good word gets spread all around.

I'm a firm believer in Mahatma Gandhi's saying," If we do not keep our backyards clean, Our Swaraj will have a foul stench."

There are several schools and voluntary organizations, contributing to keep the city clean. A group of six people in Bhopal decided to keep the city clean without any help from the Government.

http://www.thebetterindia.com/49237/i-clean-bhopal-spot-fixing-activities/

When such surveys are conducted, only a random sample is selected, in this case, select places of the cities might have been selected for the survey and they might have turned out to be cleaner than other places. but all in all, we should not rely only on such surveys alone but help in cleaning campaigns as much as we can and try to keep our cities clean.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

after modi swach abhiyan many places in India looks clean and are progressing to the cleanest city in the world.

bhuyali saroj

We must take the initiative to keep our city clean. In Delhi many people throw vegetable peels on the road which is literally unacceptable and in no way the city can remain clean. So, it is up to us to decide whether we want clean city or not and how we can contribute in making and keeping it clean. 

shampasaid

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

We must take the initiative to keep our city clean. In Delhi many people throw vegetable peels on the road which is literally unacceptable and in no way the city can remain clean. So, it is up to us to decide whether we want clean city or not and how we can contribute in making and keeping it clean. 

True Shampa, that is the story in all the Indian cities and towns, people simply cannot be bothered to keep their trash to themselves but throw it all over the public places. If each and every person took an oath of not littering and spitting in the public places and stuck to it, that would be the biggest act of patriotism!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

if we want to make our city clean and safe from the diseases which usually happens from dirtiness, then it our duty to make our city clean, and if we clean our city then there is nobody who can make our city dirty 

bhuyali saroj

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.