Hi All,

As we all know we are already 5 days down and no medals yet for India. While there are other like the ace swimmer Michael from US has 21 Golds to his credit over the years and still counting. Its not that India does not have talent, its not that India does not have coaches, its not that India does not want to excel... yes the resources are limited, political interference are more, bureaucracy is there.

But with all this said and done, we need to see how to bring about the change. It may not change is a day or even a year. But we should start somewhere. As a common man what is it that we can do or suggest to people who have the power to implement the changes. We do need to see our sports people winning medals. 

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Even on the 5th Day, a Medal prospects are still evading. But what I feel is, A very less number of events took place and there are many events  to take place. For example,All Badminton events will take place today. Manoj Kumar moved to the next round, Deepaka Kumari cruises in to Archery Pre quarters. We will have to wait for at least another 2 days to get a correct picture  of Players performance.

Regarding the other point about what needs to be done to get more medals in Olympics, my answer is the Government should provide all that is necessary to make an ordinary person in to a 'Champion.'

If India wants to win any medals at Olympics, then the first that needed to be done is do away with regionalism and dirty politics at each step that the athletes have to face. Then provide proper infrastructure at all levels starting from the rural areas, that is where the gems of our sports scene hidden. Lastly, take sports as a valuable subject seriously in school and employ real sportsmen to teach children. Right now, what is happening is arts and crafts teacher is being made to take PT and other subject teachers keep 'borrowing' PT period from the PT teacher. Sports is still not taken seriously. If these basic things are fixed, I am sure we would have more medals.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Training for Olympic Games is an expensive affair.. Besides this, Selection process for the Training the candidates is very much doubtful. Every time the selected Candidates are announced be it for national Games or Common Wealth Games or Asian Games, you are assured of seeing at least 2 or 3 members from a politician's family or A son or Nephew of a Bada Babu.There were many complaints about the selection of candidates in the National Games on many previous occasions.  I know many youngsters in the remote rural regions who are very good at Kabaddi. But these were denied of a place in the Training camps for the National Games held a few years ago.

In such a dreary and disgusting scenario, how can anybody expect to get Medals in the Olympics ?

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

If India wants to win any medals at Olympics, then the first that needed to be done is do away with regionalism and dirty politics at each step that the athletes have to face. Then provide proper infrastructure at all levels starting from the rural areas, that is where the gems of our sports scene hidden. Lastly, take sports as a valuable subject seriously in school and employ real sportsmen to teach children. Right now, what is happening is arts and crafts teacher is being made to take PT and other subject teachers keep 'borrowing' PT period from the PT teacher. Sports is still not taken seriously. If these basic things are fixed, I am sure we would have more medals.

Kalyani, very well mentioned and absolutely justified points. There is no dearth of talent and merit but as you pointed out, if these are not taken into consideration then we will never get a global recognition in athletes. The sports persons are the worst sufferers. 

shampasaid

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Kalyani, very well mentioned and absolutely justified points. There is no dearth of talent and merit but as you pointed out, if these are not taken into consideration then we will never get a global recognition in athletes. The sports persons are the worst sufferers. 

True..there is no dearth of talent but real talent is often ignored, as there is dirty politics and regionalism involved during selection processes. Also, most committees are headed by non-sports people who Cannot a talented sportsperson apart from a brick wall. that Has to change.

If we government done one thing than India can won many medals, Keep sportsperson free from dirty politics so they can concentrait on their practice.

Why are we so desperate for a medal?

Very philosophical question Vijai- I think we go there to participate so expecting a medal is not fair! Lord Krishna had said it centuries ago that your duty ends as soon as you finish your work you should not have any expectation.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

vijay wrote:

Why are we so desperate for a medal?

Why Medal. when mere participation in Olympics is equally honorable?

That is because winning medals is a prestige issue and it does assert your calibre and mettle!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.