Even though it is prohibited  in India to take dowry in marriage, this practice is continuing openly. Many people argue that when a girl can ask alimony for divorce then why can't people ask dowry. So the people who take dowry say the reason to have financial stability dowry is justified. I personally in no way support this practice and never took dowry myself. What are your views on this ?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Dowry is evil. A father of daughter understand it better. It is new tradition, that when boy's family come for relation, they said that they have not any demand. but letter they begins to demands on the name of customs and riutals. Parents always wants that their daughter live happy after marriage so they try to do their best.

Thank you said by: arjun sai

Dowry did not start as an evil system. The father of the daughter gave her share during wedding. Later on the patriarchal mindset of the society turned it into a social evil. I would say that it is deep rooted in the mindset of people and take a long time to go from our society. It is still there but has changed it's form. People still use indirect ways to take and give dowry. And many people take it as a pride to show off and offer huge dowry in name of gifts to their daughter. With such things going around in the society, it is still a long way for dowry to get fully eradicated from the society. 

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Arunima Singh wrote:

Dowry did not start as an evil system. The father of the daughter gave her share during wedding. Later on the patriarchal mindset of the society turned it into a social evil. I would say that it is deep rooted in the mindset of people and take a long time to go from our society. It is still there but has changed it's form. People still use indirect ways to take and give dowry. And many people take it as a pride to show off and offer huge dowry in name of gifts to their daughter. With such things going around in the society, it is still a long way for dowry to get fully eradicated from the society. 

I am agree with you dowry did not start as evil but greedy peoples make it evil. Father love their daughters and they give her as mush possible for them. If parents give some without demands of grooms family than it is gift but if groom family present list of items than it is dowry.

@Arunima

You have rightly mentioned that dowry didn't begin as social practice. It is said that, since the bride is going to a new house initially she might be feeling shy to ask in laws for the things that she might need. So during marriage, parents try to provide her everything she might need. And thus began, the dowry system.

It is an evil practice but would take time to remove it. I feel that bride's family are also responsible for the continuation of this evil practice. Since, they try to fulfill every demand whenever the groom's family ask for anything, dowry practice are unlikely to be remove from the society.

I know a few girl who themselves want their parents to give them dowry.  I saw few cases where girl's family was very rich and had huge property because girl's father was good government official.  So in this case girl was interested to have dowry to live comfortable life. But due to this practice some people misuse this and keep asking money from girl's family after marriage even if the girl's family is not very rich.  In most cases the girl's family ends up paying money because they don't want to compromise with family life of their daughter. 

Arunima Singh wrote:

True , and dowry system is there in many societies. Earlier since the son's inherited properties and wealth of their parents , daughters were given a fair share through dowry...of course like all other practices it has become evil over a period of time.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

arjun sai wrote:

I know a few girl who themselves want their parents to give them dowry.  I saw few cases where girl's family was very rich and had huge property because girl's father was good government official.  So in this case girl was interested to have dowry to live comfortable life. But due to this practice some people misuse this and keep asking money from girl's family after marriage even if the girl's family is not very rich.  In most cases the girl's family ends up paying money because they don't want to compromise with family life of their daughter. 

We India are some more emotional. We want that our daughter live happy at any cost. So for it we accept all demands of grooms family. Law is in favor of girls family but it is my opinion that with help of law we can separate our daughter with honor and also get punished to grooms family. It is very hard to save marriage life of daughter with help of law. 

The system of dowry is very worst in our indian society. In india daughter are almost sold to someone. Daughter become burden on their parent. The system need to stop.

ASHA DEVI wrote:

The system of dowry is very worst in our indian society. In india daughter are almost sold to someone. Daughter become burden on their parent. The system need to stop.

Dowry system is evil but it is wrong that we sold daughters. We never take any thing for marriage of daughter. We give to boys. 

ASHA DEVI wrote:

It is a mindset that needs to be corrected ...why should parents even think that marriage is the only option left for a daughter ? Why not educate her and make her stand in her own two feet and marry when and if she is ready to do so , not because the so called society expects them to do so ! 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.