Dear Experts , 

Need your advice and help. When I started my graduation my my family brought a new laptop for me. Now the laptop is 10 years old. It was in good health till now but on one rainy day water through a leaking windows fell on it. Now it shuts down while doing work and gives a blue screen error. What do you suggest should I repair this or buy a new one ? I don't use too much laptop but sometimes I need it for official work kindly suggest what is the perfect cost effective option?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I think if it is a branded one like HP or Dell you can go ahead with repair, but also just know the reason for its switch off & ask them that if after being repaired can the problem re occur?

Also explain what caused the issue & then take a decision whether to repair it or go for a new one.

If water really fell on it & you must be knowing that how much amount of water fell, I guess only some as it is still working. How many days over, even that is a point to consider.

If Motherboard is short circuited or any internal part is short circuited ask the service personnel whether they will repair temporarily or for long term use.

If it's a branded one you can go to their own service centers or go for any local popular market with a couple of tech savvy friends to find the best repair person who is genuine.

If you intend to repair it make sure it is done in front of your eyes, waiting time doesn't matter.

Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!

Thank you said by: arjun sai
epraneeth77 wrote:

I think if it is a branded one like HP or Dell you can go ahead with repair, but also just know the reason for its switch off & ask them that if after being repaired can the problem re occur?

Also explain what caused the issue & then take a decision whether to repair it or go for a new one.

If water really fell on it & you must be knowing that how much amount of water fell, I guess only some as it is still working. How many days over, even that is a point to consider.

If Motherboard is short circuited or any internal part is short circuited ask the service personnel whether they will repair temporarily or for long term use.

If it's a branded one you can go to their own service centers or go for any local popular market with a couple of tech savvy friends to find the best repair person who is genuine.

If you intend to repair it make sure it is done in front of your eyes, waiting time doesn't matter.

Thank you very much for your guidance. Yes it is Dell laptop, and the amount of water which fell was a lot . Even I wanted to go for a repair due to budget constraint. Thanks for confirming my doubt.

Since it is 10 years old , I feel that you could buy a new one because repairing will not be cheap .I have a HP laptop which is 6 years old and I had the same problem 2 years ago when some water accidentally spilled over it. I got it repaired because I don't want to give up on it   . .it is working fine until now.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I don't have much knowledge about it but have heard that repairing a laptop is quite expensive. So, some say that it would be better if one goes for an exchange offer then it will be beneficial. The buyer will get a brand new one and expense will be comparatively less due to exchange scheme. 

It is my personal opinion that if you decide to go for a new one then wait for a month and then decide to purchase. Diwali is very close so quite naturally various discount offers will come up. You may grab a very attractive deal. Good luck!    

shampasaid

Hope you haven't repaired it yet as there is a big billion sale on Flipkart & Great Indian Sale on Amazon that will start from tomorrow. Check them out as there are good exchange offers & 10% discount among other offers. Also there are no cost EMI's these days.

If there is a good exchange offer that you find valuable, I think you can repair it & then exchange.

Also, as Miss Usha Manohar has rightly said that getting a new one is a wise option.

We do not know whether the repair will last long given the fact that it is already 10 years. As per google search the average life of a laptop is being shown as 5 years & I am quite Suprised how it lasted double of the average!

Read the below link as well before taking a decision

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-average-life-span-of-HP-laptops 

Hope you take the best decision keeping long term benefits in mind rather than short term benefits.

In my personal view it is good to either exchange it or buy a new one in No Cost EMI. No Cost EMI's are coming with Debit Cards as well these days, check out if they are there in Flipkart & Amazon. 

You also can buy a new one & sell the current laptop in any marketable place like in Hyderabad we have Jagdish Market in Abids where Cellphones are sold & we have CTC in Paradise where Laptops can be sold at a good price after enquiring at 5 to 6 places.

Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!

epraneeth77 wrote:

Hope you haven't repaired it yet as there is a big billion sale on Flipkart & Great Indian Sale on Amazon that will start from tomorrow. Check them out as there are good exchange offers & 10% discount among other offers. Also there are no cost EMI's these days.

If there is a good exchange offer that you find valuable, I think you can repair it & then exchange.

Also, as Miss Usha Manohar has rightly said that getting a new one is a wise option.

We do not know whether the repair will last long given the fact that it is already 10 years. As per google search the average life of a laptop is being shown as 5 years & I am quite Suprised how it lasted double of the average!

Hope you take the best decision keeping long term benefits in mind rather than short term benefits.

In my personal view it is good to either exchange it or buy a new one in No Cost EMI. No Cost EMI's are coming with Debit Cards as well these days, check out if they are there in Flipkart & Amazon. 

You also can buy a new one & sell the current laptop in any marketable place like in Hyderabad we have Jagdish Market in Abids where Cellphones are sold & we have CTC in Paradise where Laptops can be sold at a good price after enquiring at 5 to 6 places.

When I was in Hyderabad, I was given quotation of Rs 1500 even checking online the cost is Rs 2000 for exchange even though the cost of it before 10 years was 46k. I agree with you and think then exchange is better option than repair because repair also costing at least 3-5 k.

epraneeth77 wrote:

I am also planning to change my laptop. my laptop is 10 years old. It is broken and it also have not power backup. Its repairing is not possible. Tell me if we buy laptop from Amzon or flipkart, who will give us after sale service.

After sale service will ideally be provided by the Company service centres itself. The Invoice Copy is the proof to be shown for service Warranty at the respective Company's service Centre.

arjun sai wrote:
epraneeth77 wrote:

When I was in Hyderabad, I was given quotation of Rs 1500 even checking online the cost is Rs 2000 for exchange even though the cost of it before 10 years was 46k. I agree with you and think then exchange is better option than repair because repair also costing at least 3-5 k.

I don't know why 46k was spent 10 years back, may be prices were more that time, but now a good laptop is there within 25k if I am not wrong.

epraneeth77 wrote:
arjun sai wrote:
epraneeth77 wrote:

I don't know why 46k was spent 10 years back, may be prices were more that time, but now a good laptop is there within 25k if I am not wrong.

Yes that times it was very costly. Now competition is more in market. Even we had a desktop many ears back , it was purchased for around 25k and while selling the price was only 3k. 

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.