I would think that probably the very first film star to enter  politics was Karunanidi of DMK and then MGR.. Both of them.were very successful politicians and leaders. Nargis Dutt was made the Rajya Sabha MP because of her closeness to Indira Gandhi and Congress party .

Most actors past their prime, seem to find their way into politics these days .. But of late majority of the actors and celebrities have contributed precious little in their capacity as elected leaders ,   .what is your opinion on film stars and celebrities entering politics?  

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I think they join the politics when left with nothing else to do. I also think that they do nothing but make a mess of everything. Examples- Shatrughan Sinha, Raj Babbar, Rekhs, Jaya Bhaduri, Amitabh Bacchan, Rekha, Hema Malini and the list goes on... Let's see what Rajanikant or Kamal Hasan do as politician.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: usha manohar
The film stars and celebrities receive huge amount of benefits from political parties to join them. When they see that there is not much scope left for them in cinema, they look towards politics to grab power and money. Rekha and Jaya Bachan were criticized a lot for their short attendence in parliament and lack of interest and inputs in important issues. Another example is Kiron Kher who won election from Chandigarh but people have been complaining that she rarely used to visit Chandigarh when she had won election.

The film stars and other celebrities are used to always being in the limelight, with few honorable exceptions of course. and so when there career ends, the absence of the public spotlight on them diminishes and so they find their way into politics as what better way than politics to stay in the public views! I personally feel that the entire structure of politics should be changed drastically and only those people who have some kind of qualification and career of administrative nature should be allowed to enter politics.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: arjun sai, usha manohar
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

The film stars and other celebrities are used to always being in the limelight, with few honorable exceptions of course. and so when there career ends, the absence of the public spotlight on them diminishes and so they find their way into politics as what better way than politics to stay in the public views! I personally feel that the entire structure of politics should be changed drastically and only those people who have some kind of qualification and career of administrative nature should be allowed to enter politics.

Yes it right most of film start join politics when they have no work. Some time political parties nominate them in Rajaya Sabha to get benefit of their stardom. At present Heme malini is MP of BJP but in  public meeting she never speak of problems or about party agenda, she speaks dialouge of her  films. You are right that entire structure of politics should be changed but it is not easy. The only and only one qualification for candidates, who can won election.

While I totally agree that anybody wanting to enter politics should have certain basic minimum qualifications , not all the very qualified brains have been successful and able leaders ...prime example are Manmohan Singh and P Chidambaram , now facing corruption charges.

Also, there have been a handful of filmstars who have been good leaders . Jaya Lalitha, inspite of being corrupt did do a lot of good for Tamil Nadu . One can see it every where - good roads, easy loan facilities, amma canteens and so on. NT Ramrao, the very famous Telugu film star who founded the TDP was  also a good leader Sunil Dutt was an honest and committed leader but for his son , who wiped out all that he had achieved. 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

While I totally agree that anybody wanting to enter politics should have certain basic minimum qualifications , not all the very qualified brains have been successful and able leaders ...prime example are Manmohan Singh and P Chidambaram , now facing corruption charges.

Also, there have been a handful of filmstars who have been good leaders . Jaya Lalitha, inspite of being corrupt did do a lot of good for Tamil Nadu . One can see it every where - good roads, easy loan facilities, amma canteens and so on. NT Ramrao, the very famous Telugu film star who founded the TDP was  also a good leader Sunil Dutt was an honest and committed leader but for his son , who wiped out all that he had achieved. 

That is true..even the most well qualified leaders haven't been able to stay off corruption, power corrupts most people, no matter what their qualification is. However, I feel that it is not the qualification but there own personal mindset and willpower that is to blame. In spite of this, there is no dearth of honest leaders eg. Parrikar, Suresh Prabhu, Devendra Fadnavis and others. Jayalalitha indeed did a lot of good for the people and yet could not abstain herself from amassing enormous wealth.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Celebrities and Politicians always remain in limelight. They both have followers and fan following. As Usha said, your previous background does not assure you to become a good politician. A might be a big superstar or a well learned person but yet you might fail as a politician. You might get the chance again and again because of your fan following but you fail to perform. On the other hand a person from modest background and less education might work well fro people because he/she wants to. It is not an issue if celebrities enter politics with a good motive to serve. But most of the time it is not so. They just do it to stay in limelight or influence voters. They have no intention of public interest and service. That is the main issue. 

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

usha manohar wrote:

Film start also citizen of India, they have right to join politics. Some film star join politics when they have not any work in Industry. Sunil Dutt was a patriotism person. He made Ajanta group to entertain soldiers on border during China war.

As many have already mentioned earlier, most of those celebrities who became politicians have not done any good for the public. But they are not the only one to be blamed, I actually blame the public. Most of the public get carried away by the presence of these film stars and celebrities. They don't question whether these celebrities have done any sort of social services to the public before casting their vote.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, usha manohar

I think the film stars and popular figures coming from various other fields like sports feel that public would support them irrespective of what they do. The latest examples are Navjot Singh Siddhu and Shatrughan Sinha behaving so childish just because they were not given a ministerial seat. I don't think there shouldn't be any quota for sportsmen, film stars or other eminent personalities in the politics even if they have a mass appeal due to their achievements in their own field.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.