BJP has got into another controversy over Savarkar. Now with Mr Modi himself showing his willingness to confer Bharatratna to Savarkar , what kind of signals are they sending across the nation? From all accounts it seems almost clear that he was the Mastermind behind the plotting of the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi and was let off because there was no concrete evidence against him. Should the BJP go out of its way to honor a person of questionable credentials posthumously and get entangled in unwanted and unnecessary issues?

https://www.quora.com/Was-Savarkar-involved-in-the-killing-of-Gandhi

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

He was never a part of conspiracy to assassinate Gandhiji, that is one big lie spread by his haters. The commission that proclaimed so was a one man commission who never investigated fully but based his opinion only on appearances. So saying this amounts to gross ignorance. There is much more to Veer Savarkar than just his so-called participation in the case. You should read up more about it, here is just one small part of it.

https://www.quora.com/Was-V-D-Savarkar-a-freedom-fighter-worth-respecting

BJP government and especially Modi is at least making some efforts to give him his rightful respect long overdue to him.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar, Arunima Singh

I wish we knew more about freedom fighters than what was told us by congress and its supporters. If we had to believe the British judgement then Gandhi, Bose etc were criminals.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: usha manohar, Arunima Singh

I definitely wouldn't judge Savarkar either way but almost all reports suggest that the Hindu Maha Sabha , his organization was against Gandhi because of the division of the country for which he was responsible since he sided Nehru and Patel on the issue . Their anger is understandable and it is also very much a possibility that there were many like minded people who sided with him and showed open resentment against the Congress party which was responsible for the division. However, it was probably out of their hands since Jinnah and his plot came to light much later and the British of course we're experts at manipulating  and the art of divide and rule.

My only concern is BJP taking up a controversial issue , since Savarkar from all accounts seems to have aided and helped Godse . It is a touchy issue for many Indians because assassination is not the right course even when there is valid reason . Gandhi with all his shortcomings , was someone who dedicated his life to the nation unlike other leaders 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: anil

Savarkar spent 27 years of his life in prison, half of which he was tortured, whipped and made to turn oil press until he fell unconscious due to fatigue. He was starved, his home and possessions were confiscated by British and were not even returned by the Indian congress even after independence. There are couintless more ways in which he was made to suffer, as compared to Nehru who lived a lavish and luxurious life, Gandhi also spent time in prison but it was far more comfortable and smooth as compared to Savarkar. So it is not fair to say that it was only Gandhi whose dedication was important and far more than others. I really wish that people open their eyes and minds a little and see him in true light rather than judge him only for his connection with Godse or Hindu Mahasabha. Savarkar was the one who dignified the 1857 war for freedom which was in fact termed by British and Congress as mere mutiny. His books put the fear of God in the British and so he was castigated. He was the one who started open integration of the untouchables into mainstream. So do keep an open mind, guys! He was not a common criminal. He was a far better person and human being than Gandhi, Nehru put together!

Thank you said by: anil, Arunima Singh

Personally I have the deepest regard and sympathy for Savarkar who , going from many accounts had suffered enormously at the hands of the British. However, there are as many versions that contradict the claim and say that he was never jailed and there is no record of it   ...since it happened sometime in 1909 and the following years as claimed by the supporters and sympathisers of Savarkar , there seems to be no record of it and if there were any, they were probably destroyed or kept hidden. Similarly, there is doubt over his involvement in Gandhi's killing but no direct proof. When there is such a controversy raging against an individual, it may be wiser to first get all doubts cleared before thinking of awarding him. An elected government can easily probe into such matters and get it's facts right , either way ..

We have learnt history from what we have been taught. And from what it has been emerging in recent years is that we were taught a biased one. Savarkar's involvement in Gandhi's assassination still needs to be proved. It might just have been a false lie. And if read more about him, he was a real hero and freedom fighter. Our history books are all hijacked by glories of Gandhi and Nehru. I am not against it but heroes like Bhagat Singh and Savarkar either get a little mention or none at all. The country definitely owes a lot to these heroes who sacrificed so much for the nation. Good that at least they are being talked about and acknowledged. 

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Arunima Singh wrote:

We have learnt history from what we have been taught. And from what it has been emerging in recent years is that we were taught a biased one. Savarkar's involvement in Gandhi's assassination still needs to be proved. It might just have been a false lie. And if read more about him, he was a real hero and freedom fighter. Our history books are all hijacked by glories of Gandhi and Nehru. I am not against it but heroes like Bhagat Singh and Savarkar either get a little mention or none at all. The country definitely owes a lot to these heroes who sacrificed so much for the nation. Good that at least they are being talked about and acknowledged. 

Very true Arunima! After so many days, I am glad to read your response of your conviction about Savarkar and his contrinbution where as some other members and what hurt me most, is even senior members like Usha questioning the credibility and truth about Savarkar's contribution and his subsequent rigorous imprisonment as they claim that there are no records of it. But what they forget is that it all happened in the recent past and people who were  actual witnesses of his sufferings and struggle existed until now and yet they ask for proof while we enjoy the fruits of their sufferings. This is the reason why I stopped posting here because there simply is no pleasing or convincing anyone. A perfect example of selfish secularism ! I had resolved not to take part in any discussions and will stick to it, but I felt your post cannot be ignored.

Another point, people should stop talking only about Gandhi, his contributions are not doubted but he did stand tall on the sufferings and dead bodies of other freedom fighters so he does not deserve any more adulation !

Thank you said by: Arunima Singh

Thank you Kalyani.. 

I feel we all are expressing here our viewpoints and perspectives that we have formed from various sources. Since we were not direct witnesses of the time we can not say anything with authenticity. But yes we have learnt things from History, views of different historians and school of thoughts. Usha is right that the current government can probe and find out the reality. Confusions loom over many minds when facts are not clear and come in different ways. So better to clarify it. Many historic events and personalities involved in it are presented in a convoluted way. 

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Arunima Singh wrote:

Thank you Kalyani.. 

I feel we all are expressing here our viewpoints and perspectives that we have formed from various sources. Since we were not direct witnesses of the time we can not say anything with authenticity. But yes we have learnt things from History, views of different historians and school of thoughts. Usha is right that the current government can probe and find out the reality. Confusions loom over many minds when facts are not clear and come in different ways. So better to clarify it. Many historic events and personalities involved in it are presented in a convoluted way. 

Absolutely... It is always better to get as many facts as possible before coming to any sort of conclusion..

Thank you said by: Arunima Singh
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.