There is a proverb in Marathi and Hindi which goes like this 'kaante se kaanta nikalana' meaning 'to remove a thorn with help of a thorn.' Only problem is that this doesn't really sound so right so can any one help me rephrase it better!

A request to those who cannot help or do not know this, please do not post replies like I don't know or ask this one and that one! This is a genuine query I have and am expecting proper replies!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
There is a proverb in Marathi and Hindi which goes like this 'kaante se kaanta nikalana' meaning 'to remove a thorn with help of a thorn.' Only problem is that this doesn't really sound so right so can any one help me rephrase it better!

A request to those who cannot help or do not know this, please do not post replies like I don't know or ask this one and that one! This is a genuine query I have and am expecting proper replies!

This is correct only in certain cases like if you trying to clean vegetables or work in your garden get a small piece of thorn or part of it stuck in your skin some where in fingers or arms then using a needle or pin, another thorn shaped item, you pull it out. Perhaps that is the origin of it.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

'You need a thorn to remove another thorn.'. This is literal version of the Marathi and Hindi proverb.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: suni51

'You need a thorn to remove another thorn.'. This is literal version of the Marathi and Hindi proverb.

Thank you Gulshan, I think this is best way to use the phrase!

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

This is correct only in certain cases like if you trying to clean vegetables or work in your garden get a small piece of thorn or part of it stuck in your skin some where in fingers or arms then using a needle or pin, another thorn shaped item, you pull it out. Perhaps that is the origin of it.

That is probably correct as far as the origins are concerned!

Thank you said by: suni51

I have read some where - 'Use a thorn to remove a thorn.'

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

The origin as explained by suni is correct. We use this proverb when we use a wicked person to set right another wicked or to set an enemy against another. Enemy's enemy is friend is also derived from such use of wicked persons or enemies.

The origin as explained by suni is correct. We use this proverb when we use a wicked person to set right another wicked or to set an enemy against another. Enemy's enemy is friend is also derived from such use of wicked persons or enemies.

Yes, actually the phrase is used mainly with reference to the above example you have stated. I think it is also synonymous with using a poison as an antidote for another poison, although I am not sure about it! Yet the meaning is same!

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
A thorn fights another thorn - the very best!!! :P :P :P :P
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

The proverb is about using some one- a wicked- against another wicked. The phrase- A thorn fights another torn- does not indicate that some one is using. If two wicked persons fight each other on their own without being used by someone, your phrase would be correct.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

The proverb is about using some one- a wicked- against another wicked. The phrase- A thorn fights another torn- does not indicate that some one is using. If two wicked persons fight each other on their own without being used by someone, your phrase would be correct.

I think the proverbs lose their appeal if these are rendered literally and their beauty lies in figurative imaginations. Why a thorn - any object for that matter which is not endowed with mobility or initiating actions on their own need agency of humans to perform it. Here the suggestion of 'use' is subtle and needs to be explained from that perspective!!! I can readily refer to one of 'one stone killing two birds' to illustrate my point!!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.