Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
A thorn fights another thorn - the very best!!! :P :P :P :P

The proverb is about using some one- a wicked- against another wicked. The phrase- A thorn fights another torn- does not indicate that some one is using. If two wicked persons fight each other on their own without being used by someone, your phrase would be correct.

I think the proverbs lose their appeal if these are rendered literally and their beauty lies in figurative imaginations. Why a thorn - any object for that matter which is not endowed with mobility or initiating actions on their own need agency of humans to perform it. Here the suggestion of 'use' is subtle and needs to be explained from that perspective!!! I can readily refer to one of 'one stone killing two birds' to illustrate my point!!

Is it 'killing two birds with one stone' or 'one stone killing two birds'. ?

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

The proverb is about using some one- a wicked- against another wicked. The phrase- A thorn fights another torn- does not indicate that some one is using. If two wicked persons fight each other on their own without being used by someone, your phrase would be correct.

I think the proverbs lose their appeal if these are rendered literally and their beauty lies in figurative imaginations. Why a thorn - any object for that matter which is not endowed with mobility or initiating actions on their own need agency of humans to perform it. Here the suggestion of 'use' is subtle and needs to be explained from that perspective!!! I can readily refer to one of 'one stone killing two birds' to illustrate my point!!

You are right but there are some proverbs which are based on figurative interpretations!!! A rolling stone gathers no moss!!!
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
There is a proverb in Marathi and Hindi which goes like this 'kaante se kaanta nikalana' meaning 'to remove a thorn with help of a thorn.' Only problem is that this doesn't really sound so right so can any one help me rephrase it better!

A request to those who cannot help or do not know this, please do not post replies like I don't know or ask this one and that one! This is a genuine query I have and am expecting proper replies!

The one that is close to this would be Diamond cuts Diamond which is a well known usage ...how about A thorn to remove a thorn...... :dry:

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

There is a proverb in Marathi and Hindi which goes like this 'kaante se kaanta nikalana' meaning 'to remove a thorn with help of a thorn.' Only problem is that this doesn't really sound so right so can any one help me rephrase it better!

A request to those who cannot help or do not know this, please do not post replies like I don't know or ask this one and that one! This is a genuine query I have and am expecting proper replies!

The one that is close to this would be Diamond cuts Diamond which is a well known usage ...how about A thorn to remove a thorn...... :dry:

I also thought of 'diamond....' .And it does come closer to capturing the essence. Here again I have to emphasize the figurative aspect of it!!

You are right but there are some proverbs which are based on figurative interpretations!!! A rolling stone gathers no moss!!!

This is 'personification' - a figure of speech. There are different ways to say a thing. How someone uses a phrase depends on his style.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

A thorn is used to extract another thorn
embedded in the hand
Like a diamond is used
to cut another diamond.

Yes the phrase diamond cuts a diamond is similar to it and the phrasing you have used for 'A thorn to remove a thorn' is about the closest that I am looking for!! Thanks ! :)

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar

In Tamil we usually say "Mullai[thorn] Mullal[using thorn] Than Edukka[Remove] Vendum"

http://rebacca-vethathiri.blogspot.in/
In Sanskrit there is a proverb 'Sathe Sathang", be foxy with a fox!! :lol: :lol:

This is 'personification' - a figure of speech. There are different ways to say a thing. How someone uses a phrase depends on his style.

Similes, metaphors, allegories are all parts of our expressions which lift our language to a surreal level. If I use ' a lion 'thunders' instead of 'roars' its impact is terrific. Roaring is a matter-of-fact expression and 'thunders' suggests so many possibilities!!!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.