The topic is locked.

Not many can choose a profession of their choice, and there have been many individual cases where people have changed their profession in the later stage of their life. I am sure many of us would change our professions given an opportunity ...your thoughts ?

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I have been lucky to have chosen the profession I like. I absolutely love teaching, though taking a sabbatical at present due to family commitments . I really enjoy teaching and and my students enjoy it too, or so I'd like to believe,lol. When in the classroom, for me it is not teaching but teaching- learning process. Its great to tap those young curious minds and bring out the best in them and in the process I feel young myself and learn so much!I wouldn't change it for anything.  But yes, changing professions are common. Know so many celebrities who were salaried employees in companies earlier. If something of interest comes ones way, I feel it is better to change and enjoy the job you do instead of cribbing all the time and being stuck in a bad job. Doesn't work that way that way for everyone,though. Many people work to make ends meet and can not be choosy about their profession. But if there is an opportunity, one should go for it!

Lopamudra wrote:

I have been lucky to have chosen the profession I like. I absolutely love teaching, though taking a sabbatical at present due to family commitments . I really enjoy teaching and and my students enjoy it too, or so I'd like to believe,lol. When in the classroom, for me it is not teaching but teaching- learning process. Its great to tap those young curious minds and bring out the best in them and in the process I feel young myself and learn so much!I wouldn't change it for anything.  But yes, changing professions are common. Know so many celebrities who were salaried employees in companies earlier. If something of interest comes ones way, I feel it is better to change and enjoy the job you do instead of cribbing all the time and being stuck in a bad job. Doesn't work that way that way for everyone,though. Many people work to make ends meet and can not be choosy about their profession. But if there is an opportunity, one should go for it!

It is good that you are happy with the profession you have chosen unlike me. I completed my training with a public sector bank and worked for two months after which I was married an had to resign...many years later started teaching because it was the best option I had . I always wished that I could go back to banking job, although I do love teaching now and am quite happy with it.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I always wanted to be creative with my words but joined an institution as Spoken English Teacher. After working for two years I got married and my base shifted to another city. The whole set up changed and I did not join any job. At present too I am a homemaker but trying my writing skill on different sites as a freelancer. Life is usually not like that as one wants and now I have learnt to adjust. I would always suggest that if anyone gets an opportunity to fulfil his/her desire in choosing a profession then one must get hold of it.

shampasaid

If job is our choice it give pleasure and satisfication. My first choice is accounting. For it I joined C.A. But it is my fate that I could not complete it. I worked as senior accountant in cement factory and vegetable edible oil. At present I am running shop of photo state. But this job is not of my choice. I can do accounting work but no one like to give job because of my health problem.

anil wrote:

If job is our choice it give pleasure and satisfication. My first choice is accounting. For it I joined C.A. But it is my fate that I could not complete it. I worked as senior accountant in cement factory and vegetable edible oil. At present I am running shop of photo state. But this job is not of my choice. I can do accounting work but no one like to give job because of my health problem.

I agree. I know well about your health that forced you  to remain in a job which you do not relish or like. Still I applaud your strong will to remain as a self reliant without being a burden to others.

I got an opportunity to change my profession as a creative artist and utilized it. But all cannot get such opportunities to stick to a job close to one's heart.

I initially started out working as administrator, then moved on to people management which I did like but was not the job of my choice. Then after the birth of son, I resigned and chose to stay home as a full time mother but one fine day, a great opportunity came knocking on me when I was asked to translated an art instruction book as a trial. It turned out great , the publishers liked my work and I now am an almost fulltime freelance translator. IT was around teh same time that I stumbled across boddunan where I tried my hand at writing articles, which I could successfully and liked it. So initially even though I may not have worked at something I liked best, it was sheer chance that I changed my career completely opposite of what I had been doing until now and found that it was something I really liked.

Now, there is another opportunity where I will starting next week as administrator of an art studio. I will share the details of it soon with you as I want to share and connect you all too with the activities that we will be conducting in our art studio.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I feel that one may select the appropriate profession latest by age of thirty years. If one goes on looking for appropriate profession even after 30 years, he will be wasting most of his life only on such pursuit. Frequent change of profession leads to mediocrity in every job.   

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

@ Kalayani, best wishes for your new venture. Sounds interesting. As I mentioned earlier, it is great be doing something you like. Only then can you do justice to it and enjoy it . Otherwise it is just a duty/necessity you go through in order to fulfill all responsibilities whether you like it or not. Now a days we have various options especially the youngsters looking to start a career. A few generations ago, good students would only take Science to make a career as a doctor or engineer. Only weak students took Arts because their marks were not good enough for science. Things have changed now for the better. There are lots of avenues open for freshers. They can choose whatever subject they like and pursue their dream careers. 

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

@Kalyani Great! Got to know about you in details. It is really very pleasing when you get true satisfaction while doing a job. Congratulations and All the best for your new venture.

shampasaid

They say, " Choose a Job of your liking, You never have to work again."

When you choose a job that's close to your heart, your progress goes on without  getting tired. The time flies away. And that's the Magic of doing a job of your liking.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.