Most Convent schools used to be single sex schools especially here in my city but now they too are waking up to the fact that it is better to have co education because of the obvious benefits. Personally I feel that it helps in developing a healthy relationship between boys and girls without making things sex based at every level..Please add your own views and experiences about your school/college days and any interesting incident that you can recount .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I have completed only co-educational schooling hence not much experience with single sex schools. I personally prefer co-education as the children get comfortable towards both the sexes. I have noticed some females who had all their education from single sex school have either developed disrespect towards boys or they are unable to speak with them due to shyness.

I agree that both boys and girls feel awkward when they have not had a chance to interact with each other under normal circumstances, which is what happens in CO Ed schools. I have taught in both kind if schools and can see the difference in attitude and perception of the youngsters.. It is really marked difference

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

As I was educated in Co -Ed schools right from the beginning, I got used to it. In fact, in my college in Vizianagaram, in AP, I used to sit with a Girl student on the same bench. Neither I nor she felt awkward.

I am for co-education. Society is extended family.  In a family, father and mother, brothers and sisters live together. School is also a family- extended family where boys and girls of all families study and interact. There is no reason why there be gender segregation in school.  Moreover, in real life- market, offices- men and women both intermingle and work together. so why separate schools for boys and girls. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I too studied in CO Ed after pre education, before which I attended a girls only convent, which definitely had its advantages but also the nuns made us feel that looking at boys , leave alone speaking to one was a sin. Of course there were many adventurous girls who WD jump the wall, bribe the gate man etc to go out of the gates during lunch break to meet their boy friends, this was in high school.

Later in college it was as if a door had opened and initially some of the girls went berserk not knowing how to handle this new freedom of being able to communicate with the opposite sex.

Though there were no such adventurous girls in my School days or College students, I came across with many girls who were extraordinarily  brilliant with very bold thoughts. At times they used to talk about in the presence of Boys about the necessity of Sexual education. Of course without any bad intention. In their association, I shed away hesitation and shyness, that were there early. Summing up, I would say Co-Ed has many advantages. My children also studied in Co- Ed schools.

I am for co-education schools because only by interacting which each other in normal circumstances, girls and boys learn to interact and appreciate each others' differences. In seggregated schools, they never learn to do that and end up indulging in risky behavior, such as indiscriminate dating, risky sexual relations etc. and for boys, it results into looking down upon girls as mere objects and no respect for other sex.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I too like Co- education. because of its benefits. But, may be there are exceptions, where in even in Co -education there are a few disadvantages. In this connection, it won't be out of context to quote an example of a student in my College who spoiled his extraordinary brilliant career due to a love affair. This is the age, some youngsters do not know the difference between love and infatuation. He was the student, on whom all the students and the lecturers pinned hopes that he would be the topper of the Andhra University. Ultimately, the inevitable happened. He could neither marry the girl with whom he had an affair, nor he could achieve what is expected of him. He just managed to pass the university exams with border marks. Now he is a retired clerk living in another town.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

I am for co-education schools because only by interacting which each other in normal circumstances, girls and boys learn to interact and appreciate each others' differences. In seggregated schools, they never learn to do that and end up indulging in risky behavior, such as indiscriminate dating, risky sexual relations etc. and for boys, it results into looking down upon girls as mere objects and no respect for other sex.

Yes true Kalyani...I wonder why they don't have this happening at state levels where many government run schools have co-ed only till the higher primary level after which they have separate sections for girls and boys at high school levels, in our state. I am sure it is the same all over the country in government run schools except in Central schools..

i think there should more and more CO-ED school should be there because i think that the student whether he is a boy or she is a girl they should come to know that they both are human, and everyone has the freedom to share some knowledge with everyone whether he is he or she is she.

bhuyali saroj

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.