Every year, in a village known as Kila Raipur , in the state of Punjab,becomes a venue for Rural Olympics.

Famous Social worker Inder Singh Grewal, started these Rural Olympics in the year 1933. The participants show feats of strength, lifting bicycles or pulling cars with their teeth, Kabaddi, Bullock Cart race, Giddha Bhangra and folk dances to name a few.

https://www.himalayanfootsteps.com/rural-olympics-in-india/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Punjab and Punjabi known for

its jauntiness, Punjab gave many sportsman, Hola mohla is also one festival of Punjab. It is celebrated just after holi festival..

Thank you said by: rambabu

Punjab has produced many Sports men  of repute. And the fact is the basis for all is these is , the State's promotion of rural Ports.

Its good to see the rural place in Punjab promoting and encouraging sports. I guess most of us are not aware about this rural olympic even though it was started in 1933. 

Bajirao wrote:

Its good to see the rural place in Punjab promoting and encouraging sports. I guess most of us are not aware about this rural olympic even though it was started in 1933. 

You are right .Rural Olympics is well known in the State of Punjab. I came to know about this accidentally. Then I thought it is worth sharing.

Such events are organised in many villages, in Rajasthan also cultural sports events are conducted every year, but day by day these events are loosing their popularity, as they are not well covered by media and not get so good income that their organizers want. Once Kabaddi was organised in fares in villages of Rajasthan, Haryana, Punjab and other states, but now it is not seen in fares and other events.

http://www.comparenshop.in

Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:

Such events are organised in many villages, in Rajasthan also cultural sports events are conducted every year, but day by day these events are loosing their popularity, as they are not well covered by media and not get so good income that their organizers want. Once Kabaddi was organised in fares in villages of Rajasthan, Haryana, Punjab and other states, but now it is not seen in fares and other events.

i don't think, these Rural Olympics are fading away, because of less media coverage. It is because of media coverage, I came to know about  these Rural Sports. media coverage may be less in comparison with media coverage of other Sports events.

rambabu wrote:
Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:

i don't think, these Rural Olympics are fading away, because of less media coverage. It is because of media coverage, I came to know about  these Rural Sports. media coverage may be less in comparison with media coverage of other Sports events.

I am from rural background, when I was in school time I saw games like Kabaddi, Kushti were organized in villages during cultural events, and people from different villages comes to watch these sports, but with the time cricket took place of these games, and today you can see children playing cricket in place of these games. One a few are interested to take part in these games, others are interested in playing cricket.

http://www.comparenshop.in

Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:
rambabu wrote:
Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:

I am from rural background, when I was in school time I saw games like Kabaddi, Kushti were organized in villages during cultural events, and people from different villages comes to watch these sports, but with the time cricket took place of these games, and today you can see children playing cricket in place of these games. One a few are interested to take part in these games, others are interested in playing cricket.

I agree. With the time, tastes of the people change. Right now cricket coverage is increasing day by day. Fortunately, in rural areas still these events like Kushti, Weight lifting are continuing.

If we see most of our athletes come from rural background.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Arunima Singh wrote:

If we see most of our athletes come from rural background.

Punjab's rural  areas and other parts n Urban regions are holding these Rural Olympias. It is highly essential to promote these Sports and Games.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.