Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
ASHA DEVI wrote:

Purpose of life in my case is very clear.I spent my life with full entertainment with some sort of day to day job.

All in all an entertaining life grinning

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

vijay wrote:

What you are saying was happening before also but was limited to a very few families who could afford to do so. Today a much larger number of famikies are having good purchasing power and thus enjoy spending. Such trend is going to increase and will become the norm and look normal. Better to get used to it rather than clash with it.

Right, this type of attitude was there in the past, is still present and will be there in the future too. It is very difficult for people like me to accept and appreciate the exhibition of money. leading a life without compassion is a sick thought process. 

shampasaid

Thank you said by: Arunima Singh

People make a distinction between old money and new money. The general feeling is that people with family money and wealth don't get carried away but from what I have experienced , a majority of them are very snobbish . The new money can be comical because they want to flash around without caring about quality or class ..either way too much of anything is bad for people ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya
usha manohar wrote:

A quote I came across ..

The cities, the roads, the countryside, the people I meet - they all begin to blur. I tell myself I am searching for something. But more and more, it feels like I am wandering, waiting for something to happen to me, something that will change everything, something that my whole life has been leading up to.

What a lovely quote and so appropriate. I wish more people thought about the same thing, the world would be a different place.

This year, we decided to do something different. My son likes to read a lot but he reads only books in English as that is the first language taught in school, though he is able to read well in Marathi, he refuses to read those books. So this year, during Diwali days, me and my husband after finishing our Pooja, decided to listen to audio books of a very prominent Marathi writer who was known for his humour. My son listened in the background and after some time got so interested that he came and sat with us and enjoyed listening to it a lot. He then made me promise that we would do this again. 

It was time well spent and all three of us really connected. So it is up to us how we choose to celebrate the festival, whether we give in to current trends and follow a mob mentality or do something that we really like.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar, Shampa Sadhya
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

A quote I came across ..

The cities, the roads, the countryside, the people I meet - they all begin to blur. I tell myself I am searching for something. But more and more, it feels like I am wandering, waiting for something to happen to me, something that will change everything, something that my whole life has been leading up to.

What a lovely quote and so appropriate. I wish more people thought about the same thing, the world would be a different place.

This year, we decided to do something different. My son likes to read a lot but he reads only books in English as that is the first language taught in school, though he is able to read well in Marathi, he refuses to read those books. So this year, during Diwali days, me and my husband after finishing our Pooja, decided to listen to audio books of a very prominent Marathi writer who was known for his humour. My son listened in the background and after some time got so interested that he came and sat with us and enjoyed listening to it a lot. He then made me promise that we would do this again. 

It was time well spent and all three of us really connected. So it is up to us how we choose to celebrate the festival, whether we give in to current trends and follow a mob mentality or do something that we really like.

It is good you thought of doing that Kalyani because one can foresee a slow death of local languages in times to come, and unless we pass it on to our future generations they will not be able to appreciate it. On the one hand some people may go overboard with the language issue but unless steps are taken by the authorities all the local languages may perish .

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

A quote I came across ..

It is good you thought of doing that Kalyani because one can foresee a slow death of local languages in times to come, and unless we pass it on to our future generations they will not be able to appreciate it. On the one hand some people may go overboard with the language issue but unless steps are taken by the authorities all the local languages may perish .

Great! Kalyani. This is how you connected your child with his roots which is a very good attempt. I face the same issue because I am a Bengali but my son is growing up in Delhi. Although I grew up in Patna I learnt my mother tongue properly. My son speaks fluently, can read with some difficulty but can't write at all. In Delhi it has become a bit more difficult but we are trying our best to make our son get connected with Bangla language. I am also trying it through story books as he is an avid reader. He fumbles but still reads various comics and Satyajit Ray's books. Hope he learns to read properly!  

shampasaid

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

In my own state we have 4 languages spoken in different regions - Kannada which is the official state language, Konkani and Thulu spoken in the coastal Karnataka and Kodava language spoken in Coorg. So one can imagine the difficulties we have with regard to languages. However , the more languages you know the better it is for the development of the brain cells and I am told that linguists are generally very broad minded in their views.

usha manohar wrote:

In my own state we have 4 languages spoken in different regions - Kannada which is the official state language, Konkani and Thulu spoken in the coastal Karnataka and Kodava language spoken in Coorg. So one can imagine the difficulties we have with regard to languages. However , the more languages you know the better it is for the development of the brain cells and I am told that linguists are generally very broad minded in their views.

Well, it's an info to me that linguists are generally broad-minded. That sounds nice. What I feel is, a knowledge of many languages makes a person quite alert. Understanding level increases as well as one becomes much more expressive. 

shampasaid

Thank you said by: usha manohar, Arunima Singh

I would love to learn as many languages as possible. Mainly Indian languages as they are so rich. I have picked up speaking, reading and writing of English, Hindi and Sanskrit. I am getting fluent in talking Kannada. Now planning to start reading and writing of Kannada. Can watch Bengali and Punjabi movies without subtitles.

I know of a Tamilian lady. She was my mentor 10 years back. She knows 26 languages, all major Indian languages and a few foreign ones. She is fluent in reading, writing too. She is a well known name in India for Montessori movement. Now she is above 90, but still active with translation of various books in different regional languages. She is active, smart and very much ahead of her times. She could drive till 80. A true inspiration for many

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Arunima Singh wrote:

I would love to learn as many languages as possible. Mainly Indian languages as they are so rich. I have picked up speaking, reading and writing of English, Hindi and Sanskrit. I am getting fluent in talking Kannada. Now planning to start reading and writing of Kannada. Can watch Bengali and Punjabi movies without subtitles.

I know of a Tamilian lady. She was my mentor 10 years back. She knows 26 languages, all major Indian languages and a few foreign ones. She is fluent in reading, writing too. She is a well known name in India for Montessori movement. Now she is above 90, but still active with translation of various books in different regional languages. She is active, smart and very much ahead of her times. She could drive till 80. A true inspiration for many

Such people are indeed respectful and inspirational. If possible then kindly share her name Arunima. I think, everyoone would love to learn about her. 

shampasaid

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.