The women's commission of India's Kerala state is seeking to limit the amount of gold given at weddings to no more than 80 grams to reduce the burden on families and help ease India's trade deficit.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/08/us-gold-india-idUSBREA070RQ20140108

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I wonder why gold is at all necessary in weddings. Better to discard gold rather than limit. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Gold is a status symbol in many countries including India. This belief is deeply rooted in  the minds of the people who are mad after this glitzy yellow metal. Discarding Gold is an un - achievable  Goal right now.

Gold is also an investment and one cannot do away without it altogether so , I feel that if rule gets implemented , it will be a step in the right direction. Keralites are mad when it comes to gold and I have seen brides completely covered with gold.There is no beauty or grace left in the bride , just glitter of gold !

kerala bride

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

As an investment Gold is OK. But Gold offering at weddings is a custom to be denounced.

It will be great if other states too start implementing similar law. Even small state like Manipur are gold craze though its mostly limited to the people in Imphal area. Here once the girl has grown up people expect her to wear gold jewellary and ve become something of a must have items for bride. And some really take it in excess

jabeen wrote:

It will be great if other states too start implementing similar law. Even small state like Manipur are gold craze though its mostly limited to the people in Imphal area. Here once the girl has grown up people expect her to wear gold jewellary and ve become something of a must have items for bride. And some really take it in excess

It is the same in my state, instead of keeping aside money for higher education, parents start buying gold so that there is enough when she is of marriageable age.They do not have the sense to realise that giving her good education will empower her for life rather than think only of marrying her off to a family that demands gold !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

jabeen wrote:

As regards the Gold and it's use in Social environment the condition everywhere is same. Still people are there who believe a Girl is a burden. The custom of Gold being used in marriages is very old. This is where we should think with emancipated mind. In the present day the notion that the Boy and the Girl are equal and they should be treated equally in all spheres of life is gaining ground. If this notion gains momentum I feel the time worn custom of using Gold for marriages will die a natural death.

It is really silly to see the so obviously unhealthy obsession of Indians with the gold. There are so many communities in India who still give too much importance to hoarding gold than spend money on more essential things such as education, basic home comforts etc. There are also so many myths regarding buying gold on specific days such "akshay tritiya" that there are almost a mile long queues outside jeweller shops in Pune!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

True. On  Akshaya tritiya day, one can witness serpentine queues all over AP state also. The fascination for this yellow metal is there in India since time immemorial. Earlier i read even the males are also fascinated by this metal

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.