Personally I love the music he composed for his early films before he became a rage . .the songs from Chhote Nawab, Baharon ke Sapne , Teesri Manzil , Padosan, Pyar ka mausam ....were all refreshing. ..but often I feel that there have been equally great and perhaps better composers than him who are being overlooked today.

Or is his music the popular kind that is catchy and easily recognized by the masses ?

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

No doubt some composer were better than RD. For me his father SD Burman was much better than him. His music have flavor of India. But most of music of RD are western flavor. It is depends on choice of music lovers. For us some are better than RD but for some other composer are better. Slial Chowdhry was also great composer.

Burman was a great composer although he was not beyond a little cheating as we know that some of his most memorable songs were taken from some popular Western songs and music. But still, his songs are still evergreen and makes you tap your feet to their beats even after so many years. However, I do agree that some of other composers were better but Burman's songs were the most recognised while those songs were ignored. I guess, the audiences differ in that way!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

SD Burman too borrowed a lot of Latin American tunes but the end result was melodious and pleasing. RD on the other hand concentrated on catchy , foot tapping numbers that was liked by the masses. But he did come up with some great compositions to make for that, in films like Amar Prem, Parichay, Mehbooba , Kinara etc..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

SD Burman too borrowed a lot of Latin American tunes but the end result was melodious and pleasing. RD on the other hand concentrated on catchy , foot tapping numbers that was liked by the masses. But he did come up with some great compositions to make for that, in films like Amar Prem, Parichay, Mehbooba , Kinara etc..

Really? SD too? Do you know any of the Latin American songs he took from? Yet, his music was indeed melodious and even very very close to Indian classical and folk music!

He borrowed cleverly by using and bringing out a fusion like he did with all the club songs in Taxi Driver, Baazi,  Jaal , Nau do gyarah . 

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

I thought SD Burman's compositions were original or based on Manipuri folk. But then I think there is nothing original as everyone gets their inspiration from somewhere or the other.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Actually it doesn't matter because the songs were all so lovely ,  some of the fusion tunes in Taxi driver , like Dil se milake Dil and Dil jhale to jhale or Kya ho phir Jo din rangeela ho from Nau do gyarah, that you can only admire the brilliance of his music. It was the same with Salil Chaudhry , who too borrowed tunes like Itnana mujhse tu Pyar badaa or Haaye jhilmil jhilmil yeh sham ke saaye, but ultimately what mattered was that they came up with such great unforgettable melodies..

suni51 wrote:

I thought SD Burman's compositions were original or based on Manipuri folk. But then I think there is nothing original as everyone gets their inspiration from somewhere or the other.

Taking inspiration is one thing which all composers do find from others but basing songs exactly the same as others with a slight variation is.....???

Here is one example of famous RD song Mehbooba Mehbooba taken from a Greek singer Demis Roussos which RD had heard in London, he had admitted once of copying the song but never gave the Greek much credit for it. This 'Say You Love Me' song is taken from a traditional Greek folk song. I hope you all enjoy listening to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=4UJXgmPqAE4

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

Taking inspiration is one thing which all composers do find from others but basing songs exactly the same as others with a slight variation is.....???

Here is one example of famous RD song Mehbooba Mehbooba taken from a Greek singer Demis Roussos which RD had heard in London, he had admitted once of copying the song but never gave the Greek much credit for it. This 'Say You Love Me' song is taken from a traditional Greek folk song. I hope you all enjoy listening to it!

Not only composers but all creative workers writers, melodist took inspiration. You all familiar with Shartchand { Dev dass} He said that I took all characters from my surrounding. Nothing is wrong is getting inspiration from other work. But must not copy of other work. One must be recreate it.

Thank you said by: usha manohar
anil wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

Not only composers but all creative workers writers, melodist took inspiration. You all familiar with Shartchand { Dev dass} He said that I took all characters from my surrounding. Nothing is wrong is getting inspiration from other work. But must not copy of other work. One must be recreate it.

Your example is a bit off, most authors are actually inspired by people around them and base their book characters around those people. But if one author copied the theme and plot and storyline of another author then it would be blatant cheating, not taking inspiration. Many composers do this kind of cheating and then call it being inspired by others' work. The biggest example of such composer in India is Anu Malik.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.