The topic is locked.
Hello Friends,

Here is the topic for this week's GD contest:
The budget for the Indian Space Program is slotted to about $1.0 Billion in 2010

According to a March Reuters report, Barack Obama is reported to have allotted a budget of $6 billion over five years to turn over space transportation to commercial companies as well as billions of dollars on technology development and extending the life of the International Space Station.

Similarly, other countries including Russia and EU are spending millions of dollars over various space programs. While inarguably, amn's thirst for knowledge and the urge to discover and explore unknown horizons override other quests, my question for discussion this week is:

Should such enormous amounts of money be spent on such space missions which do not affect a common man, when such money could be well spent on making our planet a better and greener planet? What use are such missions to us

As usual the winner will be awarded a cash prize of Rs. 50 and the Runner-up Rs. 25 along with 50 points each.

All participants who post at least three valid replies will be awarded 50 points in the Group Discussion. The Replies should be in a constructive manner either opposing or supporting the topic.

See link for more information and rules of the contest:
www.boddunan.com/forums/3-contests-a-rew...test-group-discussio

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Not even a single reply yet to this GD topic???? :( :dry: :huh: :unsure: :(

Friends, pleae honestly let me know if this topic is irrelevant or there can be no discussion on this and I will change the topic!!

Scientific research cannot be always evaluated in terms of direct cost/ revenue analysis. In fact, Scientific research, especially fundamental research is for gaining knowledge. Many benefits of the research are realized long after.

Space Research is not beneficial to mankind directly. The inventions of useful things are also based on the fundamental research that was carried out initially for pure knowledge. Let us refer to James Watt discovery of power of steam. He had not in his mind that his invention could result in steam engines that would revolutionize the travel.

The expenditure on space research cannot be considered as waste. This is for human knowledge and will ultimately prove beneficial. benefits may not accrue directly at this stage. However, the international community should pool resources and conduct research jointly so as to reduce cost of research. Also, the expenditure should be kept at reasonable limit commensurate with national income and resources.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
[quote]Not even a single reply yet to this GD topic???? :( :dry: :huh: :unsure: :(

Friends, please honestly let me know if this topic is irrelevant or there can be no discussion on this and I will change the topic!! [/quote]

I have just seen this as I was busy with my professional work. I have immediately posted my comments. The topic is a bit uncommon and many may not be interested. I also need to get inputs from Google search engine. I shall write more posts shortly after equipping myself with relevant information and pros and cons on the matter.

I request do not change the topic. The site has the slogan: Information creates wealth. so, let every one work hard to gather information even on difficult topic and discuss.

Gulshan wrote:
[quote]I have just seen this as I was busy with my professional work. I have immediately posted my comments. The topic is a bit uncommon and many may not be interested. I also need to get inputs from Google search engine. I shall write more posts shortly after equipping myself with relevant information and pros and cons on the matter.

I request do not change the topic. The site has the slogan: Information creates wealth. so, let every one work hard to gather information even on difficult topic and discuss. [/quote]

Thanks for your support Gulshan! While posting this topic that was exactly what I thought of, some little extra work on the participants' part and something different rather than the usual social issues! I only hope that there is a good discussion on this one!

@Kalyani

I don't see the need for any such change.Rather the toptc is very imaginative and relevant to our current social scenario! As I would be out of station for a few days,I may not be able to be regular with my post but I would surely try to contribute.
I agree with what Gulshan told here.The expenditure on space reasearch is not a waste at all.

India has been launching space vehicles for a long.We had gained many lessons from each launching.Some of the failed and we analysed the failure reasons.From this we got energy and later succeded in many missions.

Now our Chandrayan had detected presence of water in Moon.Eventhough man landed in moon in 1969 the water particle was discovered only in 2009.So it had made us to reach a conclusion that moon may be a place for residence in future.So the huge amount spend on this became fruitful.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Space research program is capital intensive. Opposition to this is short sightedness. The benefits from the research cannot be obtained instantly. There are even some industrial projects with long gestation period but these are undertaken. Similarly, space research is long term project. This always gos on and fruits of such research are not immediately visible but these are sure in long run. Some benefits may be reaped by future generations. We are also reaping benefits of our forefathers' efforts.

There are more than 1500 products that owe their existence to space research. rain water purification scheme is one. Satellite radio/ TV, digital TV, cell phones, GPS navigation, digital hearing aids, miniature heart pumps and many other products are derived from space research.

I again reiterate that various agencies should pool their resources and economize. But the program cannot be abandoned.

Funding space is good than rather than keeping money in hands of corrupt politicians

space & its exploration is infact great concept for all thoe who has imagination or dream.so topic is relevant.

as per my friends views that budget need to be allocated is eye opener for number of scams like LIC,2G going & occuring time & agains

I do agree with all that The expenditure on space reasearch is not a waste at all. infact it is said that ffor future we are thinking ahead & locking money on better prospects is good rather than keeping money in hands of corrupt politicians

THANKS! THIS REALLY HELPED A LOT! Share with World now

http://share-ask.com/category/peoples-articles-news-now/
I think that space missions are very much important to human mankind. New things on other planets could explored and thats widens our knowledge. We need to know whats happening in other planets and this knowledge will give us the possibilites to save us planet better. As far as money is concerned, well! if you are exploring another planet which is most important, money shouldn't matter and thats what every country's governmnt is thinking. I believe that india is spending less money on space comparatively than other country and thats good for our country.

Want to make each day Accountable

I think that space missions are very much important to human mankind. New things on other planets could explored and thats widens our knowledge. We need to know whats happening in other planets and this knowledge will give us the possibilites to save us planet better. As far as money is concerned, well! if you are exploring another planet which is most important, money shouldn't matter and thats what every country's governmnt is thinking. I believe that india is spending less money on space comparatively than other country and thats good for our country.

Want to make each day Accountable

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.