Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Even in the most tradition bound religions , we are witnessing a change with time. Even in India which is tradion bound , revolutionary changes are taking place. Now there are Anti dowry movements and equal right movements are seen. Hence! Traditional beliefs cannot be said exist only in India.

vijay wrote:

The pavitra sentiment behind the hindi term kanyadan cannot be captured in simple translation as donating a girl. and then taking shelter in its legal interpretation. In Christian marriages it is said " I take thee as my -----" . By your interpretation one can only take something which belongs to someone. So it is wrong to say that it exists only in India. But times have changed and today it is moving rapidly towards equality between both sexes.

I agree. Also in Christian weddings, usually the father of the bride also says I give away...which can be said to be equivalent of our kanyadan. But to address the topic in question, why should this incident be so surprising? We have now started reading accounts of girls being kidnapped from Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and parts of Bihar and sold to men in Haryana and Rajasthan, where in most cases a single girl is wedded to all brothers in the household, all because of skewed girl to boy ratio. When girls can be bought and sold like some commodity, it is hardly surprising when they are traded for money or a means to pay debt.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Times will not be like this ae we are seeing now. I agree the change in attitude in both sexes is too small now.I came across many instances of girls rebelling against child marriages and demanding  a right for education. These changes certainly indicate change that is slowly and steadily taking place. The same changes are taking place in other spheres too. Many men are willingly coming forward to help their working partners and lending a hand in child upbringing.

A man's attitude towards a woman is gradually melting. Now both are partners in making their lives blissful.

rambabu wrote:

Times will not be like this ae we are seeing now. I agree the change in attitude in both sexes is too small now.I came across many instances of girls rebelling against child marriages and demanding  a right for education. These changes certainly indicate change that is slowly and steadily taking place. The same changes are taking place in other spheres too. Many men are willingly coming forward to help their working partners and lending a hand in child upbringing.

A man's attitude towards a woman is gradually melting. Now both are partners in making their lives blissful.

I agree that time is changing. However, the fact remains that woman has a secondary place so far as religious traditiuons are concerned- be these Hindu or Christian or else.  Kanyadaan ceremony signifies that woman is just a sort of property. In Hindu traditions, a girl is considered as 'paraya dhan' (others' property) that has to be transferred to real owner viz. husband some day. The Hindu law interpreter Chanakya advised that a woman must never be free. she is in control of her father in childhood, husband in youth and son in old age. Other religions are also like this.

It is true that women are liberating themselves. The liberalization process also needs freedom from grip of religion.   

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: rambabu
Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:
rambabu wrote:

I agree that time is changing. However, the fact remains that woman has a secondary place so far as religious traditiuons are concerned- be these Hindu or Christian or else.  Kanyadaan ceremony signifies that woman is just a sort of property. In Hindu traditions, a girl is considered as 'paraya dhan' (others' property) that has to be transferred to real owner viz. husband some day. The Hindu law interpreter Chanakya advised that a woman must never be free. she is in control of her father in childhood, husband in youth and son in old age. Other religions are also like this.

It is true that women are liberating themselves. The liberalization process also needs freedom from grip of religion.   

Absolutely. If a person cannot frees himself from the shackles of Religion, this liberalization process cannot take shape.

This discussion is going to be religious. Besides talking about the rights of a woman this discussion is diverting towards religion.

http://www.comparenshop.in

Absolutely not. The discussion though revolving around religion, stresses on Harms of "Religion based education. "

In all religion lady have to go with her husband. It is not only for one religion. And if we take no religion, then also either husband or wife have to leave their home to live together. And these days people don't like to live in joint families, so both leave their home and settle elsewhere.

http://www.comparenshop.in

So. It all  amounts to one factor that, women like earlier days are not slaves to the man but a partner with her husband in the process of carving a Happy life. The question of domination by one sex over the sex is gradually melting away But it has to be more in the years to come.

If anyone thinks this happens in India only, here is an eye opener. The Americans are the master on this art- 

http://www.dailydot.com/crime/pregnancy-fetish-trafficking/

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.