Recent study reports show that many confidential files of indian government and defence are stolen by hackers, especially from China.
The study also tells that China has a advanced cyber war capability and there are many official(government sponsored) and unofficial army of hackers doing espionage in more than 103 countries.Red Hackers alliance is one such army who calls themselves patriot and working for the interest of china.
So in case there is a war between countries.Networks as well as information plays a very crucial role in today's warfare.If countries like china launch a massive cyber attack,will India be able to survive these attacks.Are we prepared or even aware of this?
What should India do to overcome this threat?
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The recent reports about Chinese attempts are very disturbing and such a threat is a real one and given to our sloppy record of waking up and getting wiser after is another cause for worry. I am reminded of the the cost the nation had to pay on the Kargil episode.As a nation we very soft and porous. Hope the latest revelations put us on our guard!
we should have an active cyber policy and continuous monitoring of the network traffic. We should make amendments in the cyber laws so the attacking computers and their servers wont get access again. Here what we do is to cry after the hackers take every thing include top secrete files. We should appoint IT professionals for the safe custody of the data and to secure them safely in the top most official places including army and difance research organizations .

The chinees people are too cunning and they will do what ever to stop the growth of India. So we should make an army of IT intellectuals so if they do we retaliate in the same way. Hack the heck out of them. But the government can't officially help it but they can do it in the background and make a shadow cyber patrol army.
@Shalu

You have given a very good reply on this.Our government should be proactive in this area to avert a major disaster.
We have seen that in all matters, there is lack of coordination and inefficiency. We have seen this in Maoists/ Naxalite problem. Two regularity bodies IDRA and SEBI are quarreling over authority on ULIP schemes of Insurance companies.
Unless the government and all connected agencies work in a coordinated manner and without lethargy, it will be difficult to face cyber attack.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

@mukharji

I don't think the existing agencies can do much about it since they already have lot of duties and are running out of time. A new task force must be formed to curb the menace.
The existing agencies have been allotted appropriate duties and if short of man power or resources, these may be enhanced. The problem is that the agencies have to work in coordination. For example, while the security forces participate in actual combat, they need help of state government, even though being under central government. The Intelligence Bureau of Central government, state intelligence agencies have to provide information at right time to the combat forces. There is lack of efficiency, leadership, honesty and skill. The army Chief has also rightly commented on lack of training of the police. Mere addition of new agencies will not help.
Moreover, cyber crime is a new problem. It is necessary to equip the police department with net and computer savvy persons and train existing staff.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I don't think so.Indian cyber defense system is very weak.Chinese hackers keep hacking the indian sites.Government is in no mood to look after all this thing. :( :(
I support bhanu. The politicians are illiterate, I feel, about the volume of the issue at hand. If something serious happens the ruling party will answer nothing, the opposition stages lot of dharnas and road blocks. thats it
Gulshan has pointed out a very important problem.Lack of coordination.At present there are following agencies in India to protect our cyber world.
1.Data Security Council of India
2.Computer Emergency Response Team
3.National Technical Research Organization
4.Army Cyber Security Establishment
5.Defence Intelligence Agency

Still we cannot protect our data from hackers!..???

Also i think there is no strong government policy in this matter.As bhanu said, it seems government is not interested.

@shalu,
You have made a good point.Somehow we have to counter this.As you said we must first secure our networks.And then we must prepare our self to strike back in time of a massive attack.i think our existing agencies can be coordinated for this task.A secret policy can also be formulated.

@chinmoy
You are right.Our government should be proactive to prevent a major disaster.We have more than enough intelligent people to fight this.But we lack a strong policy and leadership.
India is a 3rd world country, it's well growing. Indian scientists,software Engineers,Computer Engineers,Doctors and top level businessmen all over the world. If all together extend mutual co-operation ti's not a major problem for Indians.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.