The creation of the Character Gabbar Singh was so iconic that the three principal male actors in the film - Dharmendra, Amitabh Bachchan and Sanjeev Kumar - all wanted to play Gabbar.

We are all aware of Sholay's famous dialogues, like " Kitne Aadmi The" etc. They became a part of the common man's life. But you can see some of Gabbar Singh's little known dialogues in this link.

A lovable bad man indeed..

http://movies.ndtv.com/bollywood/sholay-40-gabbar-singh-the-villain-every-hero-wanted-to-play-1207348?utm_source=ndtv&utm_medium=top-stories-widget&utm_campaign=story-13-http%3a%2f%2fmovies.ndtv.com%2fbollywood%2fsholay-40-gabbar-singh-the-villain-every-hero-wanted-to-play-1207348

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

No doubt, sholey is superb. Gabbar singh is the essence of the movie. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I have watched the movie, may be a hundred times.There was a time once when my son was young, he wanted to watch Sholay everyday ...His favorite was the jailor played by Asrani, he would laugh with amusement as soon as he came on the screen and to this day we tease him ..But of course Amjad Khan was the soul of the movie and what a superb and chilling performance he gave , never to be forgotten !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

And many Heroes of the Movie Sholay vied with each other to play a negative role, which is unprecedented. The whole exercise behind the legendary Movie is a grand efforts of the writers, director and other technicians.

why not the gabar singh is the root from where the Indian cinema started making powerful villian beside charming heroes

bhuyali saroj

Your comment is confusing. Will you please elucidate?

bhuyali saroj wrote:

why not the gabar singh is the root from where the Indian cinema started making powerful villian beside charming heroes

I guess you are saying that the elevation of villains as anti heros and central characters began with Gabbar's caharacter, you are right because earlier villains had a monotonous role in almost all the films ...But we did have some really great villains like Pran and K.N Singh 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Pran is a notable exception. He was good even when he played a Villain's role. And he is versatile too. Pran in Upkar in the role of Malang chacha was superb.

A large part of success of Sholay was due to the first time use of latest technology in its audio and visual areas, which enhanced the viewing experience of the viewer considerably. As reported in a channel yesterday Gabbar had only nine scenes in the movie. It is a tribute to Amjad Khan that his portrayal made the character evergreen. 

The role of Gabbar singh  has been shown as an example for showing a New Mode of a Bad character who can be a cynosure of all eyes and lovable.

Sholay was indeed a mega hit and probably the first movie to bring the ol' wild west to the Indian cinema. The cast and their performances was totally superb right from Amjad's Gabbar to A.K. Hangal's 'itna sannat kyon hai bhai.'

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.