Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Dowry is there not just here but in other countries as well, although not to the extent it is practiced here in India in all religious communities.. It started in the ancient times when child marriage was prevalent and the couple totally dependent o the elders.The girls father pledged her share of the property towards her upkeep ! I feel that it started as a need based arrangement but like all other practices became a disease,,

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

Dowry is there not just here but in other countries as well, although not to the extent it is practiced here in India in all religious communities.. It started in the ancient times when child marriage was prevalent and the couple totally dependent o the elders.The girls father pledged her share of the property towards her upkeep ! I feel that it started as a need based arrangement but like all other practices became a disease,,

Compel to give some amount or article is dowry but gift of some house hold articles is not dowry. In communal marriage organiser gift some household articles and government also gave some subsidy for it.

anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Compel to give some amount or article is dowry but gift of some house hold articles is not dowry. In communal marriage organiser gift some household articles and government also gave some subsidy for it.

What you say is true to an extent, but gifting of household articles should be voluntary in that case and based on need rather than forcing the bride's parents to give items of luxury. eg. it has become quite common to ask for either two wheelers or cars or such items which are way beyond what the bride's family can afford, in lieu of dowry. So dowry is not just cash money but such articles also, and brides are also being killed in the event she fails to get such stuff from her parents. So it is not not limited to just cash and ornaments only.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Dowry is there not just here but in other countries as well, although not to the extent it is practiced here in India in all religious communities.. It started in the ancient times when child marriage was prevalent and the couple totally dependent o the elders.The girls father pledged her share

of the property towards her upkeep ! I feel that it started as a need based arrangement but like all other practices became a disease,,

What you say is true to an extent, but gifting of household articles should be voluntary in that case and based on need rather than forcing the bride's parents to give items of luxury. eg. it has become quite common to ask for either two wheelers or cars or such items which are way beyond what the bride's family can afford, in lieu of dowry. So dowry is not just cash money but such articles also, and brides are also being killed in the event she fails to get such stuff from her parents. So it is not not limited to just cash and ornaments only.

the bride parents get compel to huge extent. but i don't understand that the bride parents knows that the groom parents wants money not her daughter then why they give their daughter to such a person whose intention is not good 

bhuyali saroj

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.