I recently read in a book by a Congress leader that Narsimha Rao tried to oust what he thought was the hold of North Indians by scheming and in the process ended up by alienating almost all leaders. That is why he is resisted. His economic reforms were timely.
In a democracy we certainly need to take all the different opinions and views , here is one such from someone of importance which I am quoting below as it is..
....." I will give you four big reasons. I will also narrate at the end how Sonia Gandhi’s Congress not only sidelined, but also humiliated this great scholarly Prime Minister of India from the same Congress party.
1. He was not a Nehru-Gandhi dynasty sycophant: It was the extraordinary guts of PV Narasimha Rao, that made him ask openly about dynasty worship culture of Congress:
“Why should the Congress party be hitched to the Nehru-Gandhi family like train compartments to the engine?”
This is how how the late P V Narasimha Rao reacted to the suggestion that Sonia Gandhi be made the Congress chief after the assassination of her husband Rajiv Gandhi in May, 1991. Needless to say, this made him a villain for those in Congress whose sole survival was revolving around the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty. It’s considered blasphemy in Congress party to criticize the *holy* dynasty.
2. Ayodhya: Even though it was Rajiv Gandhi who opened the locks of Ram Janmabhumi complex in Ayodhya on 1st February 1986, it was during Narasimha Rao’s time that the dilapidated structure came tumbling down. Considering the extreme care Congress takes towards its secular image (which others pooh pooh as pseudo secular), they had to develop a new villain to blame for Babri Masjid issue in 1992. Of course they could not blame Rajiv Gandhi who opened the locks and started this whole episode, so they painted PVN Rao as the enemy of secularism. PVN being a staunch and proud Hindu made it easier to target him.
3. Reversing the License Raj of Nehru and Indira: What we call as Narasimha Rao and Manmohan Singh’s “liberalization” was nothing but a systematic reversal of license Raj setup by Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi. I strongly suggest everyone to read Gurcharan Das’ book “ India Unbound”.
That book explains in splendid detail, how Jawaharlal Nehru was the architect of the draconian License Raj and how his daughter Indira Gandhi made it almost a sin to make profit during 1970s. If you made 100 Rupees profit in 1970s, you almost ended up paying the entire amount as tax, and in some cases even shell out your own money over it! That’s when black money problem seriously started in India as everyone started hoarding profit elsewhere. So obviously those who benefited from the black economy, hated Narasimha Rao for his fight against that license raj model - which had created corruption top to bottom in India. "
Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!
1) Opposition is not well to do. I'm not sure about the statistics; BJP ruling more than 15 states whereas congress has 5 or 6 only, remaining others(likely to support ruling party only). This will lead BJP to be strong. Lack of strong alternative..
2) Efforts and implementation towards digitization and more concern towards banking to all etc.
3) Launching various schemes for the betterment of the country.
4) Globalising indian market and products around the world.
5) Focusing on good industrialization and liberalization.
6) Focusing on better infrastructures and job opportunities.
Finally, cabinet and PM's workaholic team So they deserve it
There is no point in constantly blaming Sonia and her dynasty. It is to be accepted that they are controlling the Congress apparatus. Those who do not like it can leave it or not vote for it. PV was right in saying why only one family should rule. He resisted and when family came back he has to pay the price. That is politics. He did it to his opponents. As for as economic policies are cosidered there is always an untried view as there is one today also.