Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:

I have seen Safar based on the story written by Asutosh Mukherjee. Veteran Ashok Kumar, Sharmila and Rajesh khanna were in the lead roles. Music was scored by kalyanji Anandji. The song  Zindagi Ke Safar is my favorite song,

For me all songs of safar is nice one. But inspiring song, Chanda Cahley Chaley Re Tara is best one song of this film.

Majority of Rajesh Khanna's movies are Musical hits, even though some films failed at the Box office.

Every one have their time so, I think hits and fail is normal thing in this field. 

Movies made by great movie makers like GuruDutt, Raj kapoor too could not escape from failures.

Raj Kapoor's and GuruDutt's movies may failed at box office but still these are classical movies. Kagaz Ke phool and Mere Nam Joker are great movies.

Exactly. These movies might have bombed at the Box office. But they never ceased to be classics. This shows the uncompromising attitude of great directors like Guru Dutt, Raj Kapoor or Satyajit Roy, who never compromise with the standards and norms set by themselves.

A great film maker like Bimal Roy had very few films that were box office successes . But today his films are considered to be the finest classics .

Rajesh khanna himself had been quite adventurous in his film roles, playing an older man right at the beginning of his career and acting in films that were far from glamorous 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Out of those few successful Movies of Bimal Roy  my favorite movie is Madhumati.  Salil Choudhury's was simply mesmerizing.

It is news that very few films of Bimal Roy were box office successes. Needs verification.

Most of his Movies were successful like Do Bigha Zamin, Yahudi etc. Failures of Bimal Roy' movies may be there, but they are less in number.

I don't simply write for the sake of writing like some members here do... except for Madhumati and Yahudi none of his films were commercially very successful. In fact I recall an interview conducted by DD with his wife and son after the death of Bimal Roy, where they stated that they could hold on to their house in Mumbai which was mortgaged because of Madhumati and its success , whereas for Bimal Roy it was a come down to make a film like Madhumati since it had all the elements that would make sure that it would succeed in the box office but id not have his real stamp on it.

Though Bimal Roy was already something of a legend in the film world by this time, his films had not been commercially altogether successful. The recent documentary film (2007) by his son Joy Roy, Remembering Bimal Roy, suggests that he was indifferent to considerations of money and profit. Nevertheless, Madhumati (1958), a much lighter film compared to his earlier films, scripted by Ritwik Ghatak that paired Dilip Kumar with Vyjayantimala, did extraordinarily well at the box office, helped no doubt as well by the memorable lyrics of Salil Chaudhary and Lata Mangeshkar’s beautiful rendering of its songs. Yahudi, also made in 1958, was nearly as successful .

Indiatimes Movies ranked the movie amongst the Top 25 Must See Bollywood Films although it was not a commercial success  [2] Devdas was also ranked at Number 2 on University of Iowa's List of Top 10 Bollywood Films by Corey K. Creekmur.[3]  The film was also noted for its cinematography and lighting under Kamal Bose that enhanced the emotional torment of the tight-lipped protagonist played by Dilip Kumar.

Do Bigha Zameen cannot be readily categorized with contemporary village epics such Mother India (1957) nor socially-conscience critiques like Shree 420 (1955) andPyaasa (1957). With such a new vision of Indian cinema, stylistically and socially, Do Bigha Zameen hit a broader audience, becoming the first Indian film to win the Prix Internationale at the 1954 Cannes Film Festival.

Do Bigha Zameen so radical and why does everyone now bring it up in discussions of must-see Bollywood films although it was not commercialy successful when it was first released in 1954 ? The film is directed by Bimal Roy, a prominent member of the post-colonialist Bengali intelligentsia, who was directly influenced by another radical film movement sweeping Europe: Italian Neorealism.

(source - wilipedia and others )

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Rajesh was a fine actor but once Amitabh came he just faded away. As a pilot, I loved his role as the air force pilot in " Aradhana".

usha manohar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

His Safar, Namak Haram, Khamoshi and Aavishkar are also very good movies. One thing I've noticed that whenever he spoke to audience it is always like delivering a movie dialogue. That's my observation.

In is hey days he was the first choice for any film by all the great directors of the day, so he got to do some very memorable films. I guess after a while his screen persona and his real personality began to look one and the same. In Bangalore ,while at school  i and my friends had gone to see his shooting for the film 'Dard'. He seemed to be a very moody person and with Hema Malini sitting in one corner with a tight face and him in another corner it was quite a boring shoot , so we left. However, his talent and screen presence is really something to be admired ! 

This is really boring because if actors do not enjoy camaraderie while they work together then the whole situation becomes quite mechanical. Rajesh Khanna was a proud being which caused his downfall.  

shampasaid

After hit after hit, Rajesh, gained huge popularity.  He started behaving as if he was a demigod . Success has gone to his head. He thought, all others are inferior. He  looked down all his colleagues on the Sets. Being proud is the most important factor that led this Super Star to down fall.

@MG I too liked his portrayal of a air force pilot in Aradhana, looked smart !

I feel the reason for their downfall is partly our society which puts them on a pedestal and no wonder they begin to think that they are the eighth wonder and throw their weight around then when fame and popularity come down they find themselves very lonely

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.