Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I have seen one video on youtube where dead bodies have been found floating in mountainous areas also that come in Ganges route."

Well if u think that people just dip their glasses in flowing river and then drink it watever it contains...then you are terribly misinformed.....

The water is highly purified through plants before it is used for drinking....
Hello,

Its good to see that Hyderabad is not there in the list........

Regards,
Karthik
@Rajani

The phenomenon of huge slums is existent in any megapolis.In Mumbai a huge percentage of the people live in the slums.In fact Dharavi is biggest slum area in Asia.In our national capital too I have seen huge slums especially in fringe areas.
chinmoymukherjee wrote:
[quote]@Rajani

The phenomenon of huge slums is existent in any megapolis.In Mumbai a huge percentage of the people live in the slums.In fact Dharavi is biggest slum area in Asia.In our national capital too I have seen huge slums especially in fringe areas.[/quote]

I agree with you chinmoy but in other metros there are other problems too..which i didnt find in kolkata..especially the surrounding tourist spots are very peaceful.. :)
sajeetharan wrote:
[quote]I have seen one video on youtube where dead bodies have been found floating in mountainous areas also that come in Ganges route."

Well if u think that people just dip their glasses in flowing river and then drink it watever it contains...then you are terribly misinformed.....

The water is highly purified through plants before it is used for drinking....[/quote]

Thanks for the information sajeetharan..but what do you mean by plant? Is it minural water which we find like Biselary.. :blink:
Yes it is purified at various water treatment plants but there is another aspect of this problem,rising levels of contamination is posing a grave threat to biodiversity of various species of fish in it.
I found this fact on a website which reports:
"India's fourteen major, 55 minor and several hundred small rivers receive millions of litres of sewage, industrial and agricultural wastes. Most of these rivers have been degraded to sewage flowing drains. There are serious water quality problems in the towns and villages using these rivers as a source of their water."

Especially in Pune, the Mutha river that flows throught the city has become no more than a gutter which is further aggravated by the presence of water hyacinth, which grows rapidly and completely covers the river which looks like a green grassy ground!!! This plant kills all the fish and other organisms in the waterfurther degrading the quality of water which isn't much to begin with!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

@Kalyani

You have provided very good information depicting the grim state of affairs of most of the rivers of our country.
Yes Chinmoy, it is sad but true and now with the onset of Shravan and Bhadrapad months ina few weeks will add more to it!!

In Maharashtra, we celebrate Ganeshotsav and Durgapuja in a big way!! I am sure you know what is involved in it, religious sentiments aside it pains me a lot to see huge idols and all the usual paraphernalia of flowers and other offerings with them go into the rivers and lakes!!

The plaster of Paris and the toxic colours used on these idols add to further degradation!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You have very rightly drawn our attention to this common problem.We face similar problems during immersion of very big Durga idols.Of late there is a welcome change as more and more activists of the environmental groups have become active.They try to persuade the idol makers not to go for these chemicals.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.